jaeden

i sat on the edge of the dock, my feet just dangling over the water. the bright lights of california sparkled and glittered, and the ocean reflected every single bit of it. the night we met by lord huron was quietly playing by my side, and i sighed contentedly.

i heard wood creaking behind me, and i whipped my head around. a taller figure was walking towards me, with his hands in his pockets. it wasn't until he sat next to me that i recognized him. it was my best friend, jaeden.

"hey, jae," i whispered, staring out over the black water. he didn't respond to me, so i tried again. "jae?"

he continued to ignore me, so i shut my mouth and dipped my toes in the water. it was cold and refreshing, especially on a summer night. i swirled it around, making quiet splashing noises. "isn't this absolutely beautiful?" i half muttered to myself, not expecting a reply.

a few minutes passed, but it felt like forever. i finally looked at jaeden, just to see him staring right back and biting his lip.

without a second's hesitation, he put one hand on my face and the other on my waist. i put my arms around his neck, and he smashed his lips onto mine. he gently tugged me closer to him until we were comfortable, and kept kissing.

he finally pulled away. "i'm sorry, y/n, you have no idea how long i've wante-" i giggled and put my finger to his lips. i laid my arm on top of his, and we intertwined fingers. my head found his shoulder, and we sat like that on the dock for a long time. i felt myself falling asleep, and he kissed my forehead.

the next thing i knew, he had picked me up and was throwing me into the ocean. i gasped right before i hit the icy water. i stayed under for as long as i could, swimming to right in front of the dock.

i splashed up out of the water and grabbed jae's ankle, pulling him in next to me. when he came up, he splashed me, and it turned into an all-out war. we laughed and sprayed water at each other for a long time.

when we stopped, he swam over to me and we were silent for a bit, enjoying the darkness and each other's presence. he slowly gripped my face in his hands, and gently kissed me.

"i love you, y/n."