2.5

CHAPTER FIVE

Another End, Another Beginning

- - - - -

"Danny, let me go."

The arms around her back tightened at her words, before finally loosening and giving her lungs breathing room. Ana sighed out, and pulled back from the embrace the Iron Fist had given her. She needed a good nights rest and a warm meal. Ana would also appreciate the occasional hug from a close friend. Luke and Jess had parted ways with Danny and Ana, finding it uncomfortable to be in the same room with each other after Matt's death. They couldn't talk about it just yet. They needed time.

Ana was all out of time.

Never mind the people she would leave behind, her time on Earth was up. Any longer, and trouble will indefinitely find her. Big, badder, trouble. The kind that the world doesn't have the tolerance for. The kind that they can't even begin to imagine. Ana's plan was simple — get to the asshole who put a universal contract on her and end it. Whatever happens after that, if it finally gives her a break from all the fighting and running, it was all she could hope for right now.

"Sorry..." Danny murmured, fiddling with his tie. He was back in an expensive suit and keeping appearances as the CEO of Rand Enterprises. They were currently standing in front of the building, near the sidewalk. He tried to set Ana up with a ride, but she had ended the call and told him she would walk all the way to Greenwich Village. "I don't know what it is, but it sorta feels like it's the last time we're gonna see each other."

Ana nudged his elbow with her own. "I doubt that very much, Danny." She gave him a side smile, rocking side to side on her feet.

"Maybe it's the ominous feeling I've had since last night." Danny said.

"Sounds about right. I'm gonna take a little me time and go dark, so if you don't hear from me in a long time, it's because whatever I'm doing is working." Ana explained, before smirking. She had to have a little fun before she left. "That, or I'm dead."

Danny stepped back and opened his arms up, exasperated. He shook his head as she laughed. He didn't appreciate the daft response. "You see? This is why I don't want you to leave. If you're in some kind of trouble, talk to me. I will help you." He clutched her shoulders and shook her twice so she could stop fooling around and see how serious he was. "That's what best friends are for."

Ana pursed her lips. "I promise, Danny, I've got it. And I should really get going." She tilted her head towards the road, silently telling him she had to leave soon.

"I know." Danny nodded, breathing out heavy through his nose. "Just don't die, please?"

Ana simply smiled.

"I'm hard to kill."

SANCTUM SANCTORUM

"That should do it."

Ana had her shiny gold Sling Ring in her palm, staring at it with one eye closed and hand raised in the air so the light that shone through the Anomaly Rue hit the object. Stephen had stepped beside her, just now noticing she had entered the Sanctum. He also noticed the minor bruising around her eyes, and had to stop himself from commenting how much she looked like death.