chapter six, the missing men of the wolf demon, koga

Kagome's POV

It was finally time for me to dry my eyes and get rid of any remaining tears that were left behind. I would now only paint a smile on to my face. I no longer could be unhappy with my life now that I was reunited and surrounded by the people that I so desperately wanted to be with since I had left. I had craved their company for what seemed like forever and now I had them with me, they were all here in a room, were were now all together. The smile that I had plastered on my face was so big and wide it began to hurt the muscles that were in my face. I didn't care if I looked like an idiot, I was home. This was my home. No matter what anyone else thought, this is where I deserved to be. The war times were my home more than the modern time ever had been.

All the faces of the people I loved, the people I considered family, were staring at me. They didn't dare take their eyes from me, I think they were scared that I might just disappear in to thin air right before their very eyes, like some sick kind of joke. I wanted to make sure they knew I wasn't going anywhere again, I wanted to assure them and make them feel like they could trust I wouldn't leave. This is where I wanted to remain as long as I could.

Kaede was sat infront of her pot of brewing stew, she gave me a kind smile, the kind of smile that wrinkled her already wrinkled aging face. She went back to her cooking that she had been attending to before I had arrived.

I took a seat against the wall, just like everyone else. A few miniutes later, Inuyasha had come into the hut and automatically took a seat beside me, almost as if it was instinctual. He was so close to me and I could feel the heat radiating from his body, a comfortable heat that made my body relax itsself. I wanted to rest my head against his lap and fall asleep to the sound of his steady breathing, I resisted the urge to, obviously. I didn't quite know where Inuyasha and I stand as of this moment. I knew we both knew that we had feelings for each other but we didn't have the chance to talk about it and I don't know if we would.

I resisted the urge to lean up against him and place my head on to his shoulder, I just wanted to sleep for just a bit, I was exhausted. After a few minutes of overthinking the whole situation, Shippo had come to sit in my lap. He curled into a little fluffy ball in my lap and relaxed his body, he let out a little comfortable sigh. I smiled down at the little fox demon child, whom my heart seemed to love a lot, I would do anything for this little one.

Miroku and Sango were cuddled up in the corner of the hut, whispering to each other. Miroku was quietly talking to her and he would say something funny because Sango laughed and pushed him away playfully, only to have him come back and whisper sweet things into her ear. They had fallen in love, somewhere along our long journey, they had fallen in love. I was happy that they seemed so happy together. I could only imagine how they suffered while I was gone. Miroku had to watch the love of his life cry constantly, it must be so nice now that they could laugh and be happy and finally be able to start their lives together. I longed for their type of love.

I wanted Inuyasha in that way. I wanted that for Inuyasha and I. We deserved to be as happy as they were now. I wanted to feel that close to him, to feel as if what we had going right now was official. I wanted it to feel much more than just one sided because right now it was. I had so much love and affection to give him but I didn't know how to, I didn't know if he even wanted it. I didn't know if he wanted me to love him as deeply and as truly as I did right now.

I wasn't confued about my feelings for Inuyasha. I wasn't confused by them. I love him and I absolutely knew that for a fact. Sometimes I felt like maybe Inuyasha could love me too. I thought and I dreamt that we could be together and have no worries and some kind of life. Unfortunately, Inuyasha's feelings were kept away, hidden deeply within him and I couldn't read them because he would show me or allow me to know him like that. It made the whole thing seem so difficult to act on. I didn't know where we stood as a couple. It's not like he asked me to be his girlfriend, all he really said was that he missed me.