Chapter 8

"Did you hear that Princess Evangeline has come?" Katrina whispered to me. I had two weeks left until I would return home, I pushed my food around for a moment. 

"That's who the heir prince is to marry?" 

"Who told you that?" Ianthus suddenly asked. 

"Katrina." I asked. 

"Well, nobody knows for sure if they are going to marry but she's been around so often and she wants to so bad it's safe to assume." Katrina admitted. 

"I see." I muttered. I had a few hours before I would have to go and play for the prince. Katrina and Misti were laughing loudly about something and then it went dead silent. I looked up and there stood the heir prince he didn't look too happy. 

"Where is Essy?" He boomed. I hesitantly stood. His eyes darted over to me. "Come." He ordered. I glanced at Katrina. 

"Do everything he says." She said squeezing my hand. 

"Sometime today!" He shouted. I quickly ran out catching up walking just behind him. "You'll be playing a little sooner today for the princess, play your prettiest lullaby. Get her to go to sleep." He told me. 

"Yes, Your Highness." I meekly said. I followed him to the guest rooms he opened a door, his anger gone replaced with a smile. 

"Prince Mordred!" SHe squealed, jumping up and down. So, that was his name. She was older than me, but she dressed like a child. She wore a frilly pink dress, her whole room was pink. "Who is this?" She blinked at me with her huge doe eyes, they were a lovely shade of chocolate brown, I was taking a liking to her already. Her hair was done in perfect curls, and her hair was just a little darker than her eyes, she was like a doll. 

"Princess." He cooed. "This is Essy she plays the harp, I thought you would like to hear her play." She furrowed her eyebrows together. 

"Where's the harp?" The prince snapped his fingers a harp appearing. He motioned me to go toward it. 

"Remember what I said." He hissed in my ear. I had never seen him behave like this. Yes, he was always cool and seemed to know everything, which I didn't like he was sly. Very sly, but right now he was angry. I had heard some things about the heir prince, he kind of scared me. I looked at Evangeline with pity, what shame that such a sweet girl would be marrying the heir prince. I sat down and began playing. 

Evangeline was lightly snoring, and the prince grimaced at her. He then turned to me, the harp disappearing. 

"I'll see you at your usual time." He softly said and then got up leaving the room. 

I sat waiting for the prince. I had eventually gained enough self-control to not look around anymore, besides, whenever I finished my jobs early I would let myself to his books. He had a good taste. He came in sooner than he normally did. He sighed plopping down in his chair, I waited for him to tell me to play. 

"Are you afraid of me Essy?" He suddenly asked. 

"To an extent." 

"You've heard things haven't you?" He wondered looking at me. I nodded. "Do you think they are true?" 

"I am not sure." 

"Well, they are." He said. "What do you think of that?" 

"What I think doesn't matter." He studied me shaking his head. 

"You know, I've looked into some things, none of the lords in Hana are missing children, neither are wealthy merchants. I've asked the conductor where you live he told me what you told him. I've scoured every town, checked every somewhat rich family I suppose, nothing. Have you changed your name?" I didn't say anything you did. "I figured you had, so I used how you look nothing. I've listed your skills, I've had people watch you throughout the palace. I've talked to others, nothing. No one has a clue." He narrowed his eyes. "Why would you want to hide? Are you a criminal?"