Chapter 4

It took me all week to figure out something that would work. I had decided it would not be long, maybe a month or two. I just needed a break, then when I came back I would be willing to do whatever Father wanted. I had packed everything I would need, which wouldn't be much, I would have to hide my identity from everyone. Most people doubted my existence, some didn't even know that I did, but if something cropped up Father would come and get me as fast as he physically could. I decided I would go to the neighboring kingdom. Hana. It wasn't as peaceful as it was here at home but it would do. It was the closest country, it wouldn't be difficult to get in either. I knew that I would have to go tonight. I would go to bed, and after Sandra left, I would change. Sandra would come back within an hour, which would be plenty of time to leave the palace. I looked out the window smiling softly as I knew soon I would be free. I would fly to Hana since I could change form. 

"Estelle." Sandra said snapping trying to get my attention. 

"What?" I blinked, turning back to her. She let out a sigh of annoyance. 

"You seem rather distracted today." 

"Oh, just thinking about the arrangement." I said softly. It wasn't a lie, and Sandra bought it. 

"I know, doll. Don't worry, I don't think it'll be all bad. I've met several of the princes and they are pleasant enough. Your father only wants what's best for you." 

"I know." I muttered looking back at the window. Sandra sighed again, shutting the book she was holding sharply. 

"Let's go outside." 

"But what about getting permission?" Sandra stood ignoring my question, getting my cloak. 

"It's going to snow soon and you won't be able to go outside. Your father is busy at the moment, there will be guards everywhere even though your garden is secluded off. There is no concern. It's a walk." She shrugged, handing me the cloak. "I'll be right back." She said leaving the room for a second. 

As I laid in bed waiting for Sandra to go out, my stomach was what I assumed the ocean was like during a storm. A tempest. 

"Good night, doll." She whispered, closing the door. When I heard the click I waited a moment. Then I jumped up, rushing to get dressed. I had made a dress that was incredibly simple. I had plenty of money. My plan was to go to the palace in Hana, there I would get a job playing some instrument. It was a considerably safe job, not to extraneous and well in my capabilities. I'd have to keep my head low and be careful who I trusted. I went over to the window, I made the bag weightless, putting it around my neck like a necklace, placing another charm on it to get it to grow and shrink according to my size. I used my magic to make the window pane disappear, then I quickly turned into a small bird going through the hole. I flapped around the window for a moment, wishing that I could use my powers while I was a bird. It would have to do. Then I flew away as fast as I could. 

I was making great timing, I had just passed Heaven's Peak, a famous peak on our mountains. I kept an eye on the ground looking for the wall that marked our borders. I spotted it up ahead, chirping in joy, I swooped slightly closer and landed on the wall. It was quiet since this part of the wall had no gate, and the town closest to it was a few miles away. I turned back to my normal self, sitting on the tall wall. I sighed, taking a deep breath, looking down at the other side, and then up at the dark horizon.

"No turning back now Estelle." I muttered, turning back to a bird an flying onward.