Chapter Nineteen

Author's Note- Hi all! I have to apologize for the infrequent and terribly slow updates... Life has a way of getting busy at the worst times.  Hopefully a few updates at once can make up for that. Be warned that I have published multiple chapters, so make sure you read them in order!

Enjoy!

Katerina 

Chapter Nineteen- William's POV

I woke up the following day to find late morning light filtering in through the window. I was sprawled out on the couch with the afghan that my grandmother had knitted me and a terribly itchy hand. I looked down to see the neat line of stitches across my palm and smiled before reaching over to the coffee table for my phone. There was one missed message.

Althea: You fell asleep halfway through the movie, figured I'd let you rest. Text me in the morning.

I hauled myself off the couch to take a shower, hoping it would help to rouse me. Benny stumbled out of his room a moment later, hair standing on end and rubbing the heel of his hands into his eyes. He looked like hell and I guaranteed he didn't feel any better.

"Why did you sleep on the couch last night?"

"It's a long story." I tried to avoid eye contact.

"Yeah, well I ran into Althea on my way up. Wanna tell me that long story?"

"She was editing my paper."

"That what kids are calling it nowadays?" He chuckled before throwing a shirt on and pushing past me to the kitchen. I ignored his comment and continued to the bathroom, turning the water on as hot as it would go. My thoughts instantly returned to last night, her face flashing through my mind, my heart thumping painfully as I pictured her smile. I stood under the stream of water, bracing myself against the shower wall and willing the image away.

Eventually the thoughts subsided and I headed back out the smell of toast and eggs. Benny nodded towards the plate beside him and I took a seat.

"Look, I'm only gonna say this once and then I'll back the hell off. Either do something about what's going on with her or drop it. But for God's sake stop whatever it is you're doing right now. Shit's painful to watch." He shovelled another bite of eggs into his mouth and gave me a knowing look. Rather than answer him, I grabbed my phone and answered her text from earlier.

Will: Sorry about last night. You get home safe?

Althea: Yes, no worries. How're you feeling?

Will: You mean after my harrowing experience with the jam jar? This cute girl saved my ass, even drove my truck to the ER. I think I'll live.  

Althea: Sounds like you're a pretty lucky guy.

My thumbs froze over the keyboard. Damnit Althea, why did you have to do that? One minute we're completely platonic and the next she was flirting up a storm. She was messing with my head and it was beginning to take its toll on me.

Will: Feel like going for smoothies?

Althea: Probably a healthy change from coffee.

Will: Pick you up in 15?

Althea: Sounds good.

I sighed before grabbing my keys and heading out the door.

"Thanks for the eggs, Ben. Catch you later."

"Remember my advice Willy. It's do or die."

                                                                                           * * * * * * 

Althea is standing on the front stoop of her dorm when I arrive, wearing jeans and a school hoodie.  I pull up to the curb and she hops right in.  She eyes my outfit choice, jeans and a school hoodie before she bursts out into a fit of giggles. 

"We look like freshman on a campus tour..." She pinches the front of her top and pulls it away from her body to get a better look at it, staring down at the school logo with distaste.

"Are we going to have to start discussing outfits before hanging out now?"  I shove her playfully and it sets off another laughing fit.

"Should I change?"  She glances at me out of the corner of her eye and I can't help but smile. 

"Nah, just own it and nobody will question us." I released the parking break and shifted into first, rolling away from her building and towards town.  The radio was on a local station as we drove in silence.  I loved to watch her ride shotgun, she liked to lean into the window and watch the passing store fronts, pedestrians and traffic. I can see the wheels turning in her head and I already know she's going to ask me something before she opens her mouth.  

"You ever wonder what's after this life?"  She turns to be abruptly, her expression pensive.  And if this weren't normal behaviour for her I'd be concerned that she'd hit her head...

"I honestly don't know.  Heaven?  Darkness?  I can't say I have a concrete opinion. You?"

"I believe in karma.  Not sure in what capacity, but I do.  I guess I have to believe that the good you put out comes back to you somehow."  She releases a deep sigh, running her fingers through her hair.  If only I could live inside her head, what it must be like.  "I guess I'll find out one day, probably best not to tempt fate by thinking about it too much."  The corner of her mouth lifts up into a wry half smile that makes me stare at her for a beat too long before I drag my eyes back to the road.  

We near our usual smoothie joint and I parallel park into the last available spot out front, all discussion of the afterlife forgotten. 

"Parallel parking hey?  Fancy."  She winks as she hops down from the truck, stopping to feed some quarters into the meter.  

"What can I say?"  I follow her towards the front, pulling the door open and motioning for her to enter first. 

We enter the shop, the bell above the door jingling to announce our arrival to the sparse patrons seated at the small tables.  And after receiving our orders, chunky monkey for her and berry blast for me, we head towards the back corner table and got comfortable.  

"I meant to ask, are you free this Saturday?"  She takes a long sip of her drink before answering.

"Hmm, yeah.  What did you have in mind?" I grinned impishly, knowing she'd hate what I had to say next.

"It's a surprise. Just wear something comfortable and be ready at 8."  As anticipated her brows immediately pulled into a frown. 

"I'm not a fan of surprises..."  

"That's precisely why they're so much fun." She shoots me a murderous look and I couldn't help but start to laugh. "Come on, finals are soon and I want to have some fun before we both lose ourselves in the library."  

The semester only had a few weeks remaining and I knew what was to come. Honestly, Althea concerned me during exam season.  She had such laser focus she would sometimes forget to eat if you didn't remind her.  And after hearing about her mom's latest visit and the pressure she was feeling to get accepted to med school, I knew this time would be even worse. It had sounded unfair when she recounted the visit to me but she was still quite tight-lipped when it came to her mom and I had learned not to push too hard.

I felt the need to give her a break, if only for one night. 

"You'll like it, Al, just trust me."  I gave her an encouraging look and smiled as I saw her begin to cave. She fiddled with her straw for a moment, considering it.  

"I guess I could live with just one surprise. Just this once."  She captured her bottom lip between her teeth, trying to hide her smile. I pumped my fist in victory and she gave me a warning look. "Don't go getting any ideas, I still hate surprises."