[13]

"I'll get the lights, you get those windows unlocked." Katherine instructed Ruth and Jack. The said three, along with Racetrack, Les, and Davey walked down the stairs as well.

Ruth ran to the windows and threw them open, letting in the cold night air. She was comforted by the fact they weren't barred up. She still had small episodes like the one in her uncle's office whenever something reminded her of the Refuge.

"Got enough keys here for the entire building. Someone's been picking daddy's pockets!" Jack snickered, jokingly pushing Katherine.

"The janitor's been working here since he was 8 and hasn't had a raise in 20 years. He's with us 100%." Katherine smiled.

"Hey, you bring your fellas with ya? Whats happening?" Jack turned to Davey.

"We could hold a hoedown in here, and no one would be the wiser." Davey laughed.

"Good job." Jack clapped him on the back.

"It's good to have you back again." Davey smiled.

"Shut up." Jack scoffed playfully, but he was inwardly glad his friend was on good terms with him. He wouldn't know what to do if Davey was still mad at him.

Katherine urged to two men by the printing press. "Well, here she is, boys. Now just think: While my father snores blissfully in his bed, we will be using his very own press to bring him down." Katherine said, with a fire of passion in her eyes.

"Remind me to stay on her good side." Jack said quietly to Ruth.

"It's not pretty being on the receiving end." Ruth shuddered as she recalled many traumatic childhood memories of an angry Katherine. She may look delicate and mature, but piss her off, and Katherine would tear you a new one.

"Is this is what they print the papes on?" Racetrack asked, and Ruth walked up to him. He placed an arm around her shoulder, and she put one around his waist. Jack made a gaging sound behind them. Racetrack spun around, and hit Jack's hat down, blocking his eyes. He laughed, before walking away. Racetrack turned back to Ruth, before placing a light kiss on the top of her head. Every since she had come back, he had stayed at her side like an itch you couldn't get rid of.

"I can see why they tossed this old girl down in the cellar, but I think she'll do the job." Darcy nodded.

"Hey, how are ya doing, Darce?" Ruth exclaimed, seeing her friend for the first time in a while. She walked away from Racetrack, before embracing Darcy shortly. Darcy and Ruth had known each other for years, growing closer since then.

"Busy as hell. Glad to be apart of this." He smiled, and looked over at Racetrack, who seemed to be watching him, like a predator stalks prey before pouncing. "I think your boyfriend is a little jealous." Darcy whispered to Ruth, to turned as red as a tomato. She brushed Darcy off, and walked back to Racetrack, who immediately put his arm around her waist, and pulled her closer.

"Jack, this is Darcy. he knows just about everything there is to know about printing." Katherine introduced Darcy and Jack.

Jack spat in his hand out of habit, holding it out to Darcy. Darcy scrunched up his nose in disgust, and Jack wiped his hand on his vest, and held it out again. Darcy reluctantly shook his hand.

"You work for one of the papes?" Jack asked, raising an eyebrow. He looked Darcy over. He was wearing nice and expensive clothes, so he wasn't a newsie, and he seemed to know a lot about printing presses.

"My father owns the Trib." Darcy shrugged.

"Woah..." Jack said in awe.

"And this is Bill, he'll be typesetting the article for us." Katherine showed Jack the other man.