[1]

A/N: I do NOT own any of Newsie's, music, plot, characters, actors, actresses, and more. I only own Ruth and other characters and dialogue of my creation. Thank you.

This story is based off of a mix of the Broadway Newsies and Original Newsies movie.

•••

The summer of 1899 was the start of something amazing. Ruth Davis was strolling down the streets of Lower Manhattan with Kathrine Pulitzer, a girl of 17, with long curly red-brown hair, and a spirit for adventure.

"Well hello, hello, hello, beautifuls." A teenage boy smirked at the girls, lazily holding onto a pole. Kathrine frowned at him, but Ruth laughed a little bit. It made her day to watch someone strike out so hard. She was used to having guys like this hit on them when they walked to work.

"Step aside, Romeo. Nothin' more concerns you here." A handsome and tall boy, around 17, pushed the first boy away, before leaning up against the same pole. He had a gray newsies cap, a dark blue shirt, a black vest, and a pair of khaki pants. He stared intensely at Katherine, making her blush a little.

"May I interest you in the latest news?" The boy smirked.

Katherine smiled politely, before pointing out, "the paper isn't out yet." Having a father that owned The World, and working for The Sun, she knew a thing or two about the paper. As much as Katherine thought this boy was attractive, she couldn't stand being treated like she wasn't intelligent.

"I would be delighted to deliver it personally." The boy stopped the two as they tried to walk away.

Kathrine stood up to him, getting closer. Ruth snickered lightly as Kathrine got visibly irritated. "This is going to be good." She smiled, making a few boys around her chuckle.

"I've got a headline for you." Kathrine said, leaning towards him. She put her hand in the air, "Cheeky Boy Gets Nothing For His Troubles." She grinned before grabbing Ruth's arm, and walking quickly away.

Ruth could hear the boys laughing and yelling at their friend as they walked away.

"Ugh. Those damn newsboys." Kathrine shook her head in disbelief, but Ruth saw right through it.

"You know that you liked him." Ruth grinned, making her friend scoff and playfully slap her arm. They arrived at work a few minutes later, and went straight to their shared desk. Being the only two women who weren't secretaries or assistants, Katherine and Ruth shared a small desk in the far corner of the large office, easily hidden from the rest of the room.

"Alright." Ruth said, stretching her back, before quickly taking notes on events going on later that night. "I was thinking, what if you go to the theater, to watch the show, and I'll go to Sheepshead Bay. That way we can get even more work done."

"That's a great idea. Which theater?" Kathrine asked.

"Medda Larkin's. I believe you've been there before." Ruth said with a smile.

Kathrine rolled her eyes, and went back to her type writer, drafting an article on a play she had attended previously.

•••

Ruth had always liked the races. The excitement and joy coming off of the crowd was infectious. Whenever Ruth could, she'd drag Kathrine along with her, but Katherine never saw what made her so excited.

Ruth sat in the middle of the stands, her notepad and fountain pen in her lap. She watched eagerly as the whistle blew and the horses took off down the track. Ruth was so busy scribbling away on her pad, she didn't notice a pair of boys sitting next to her.