6) Welcome to Allentown

Start from the beginning

She was just considering texting Matt as well, when another woman came in – fit and attractive, blond hair, big eyes, distinctive lipstick. Vera would swear at least two of her accompanies gasped. The guy, she expected, but one of the women, not so much. Huh. The blonde joined them after she was directed to do so by the man at the desk. She gave them a small wave, not speaking either though. The gasping woman stared at her blatantly, eyes wide. Vera wasn't sure what that meant.

Vera decided not to bother Matt, who was probably still at work. In few minutes, a new pair appeared, a man and a woman, both wearing cheerful smiles, making their way to them immediately.

"Hello. Fit-box course anyone?" he offered, blue eyes twinkling, observing them one after another, trying not to linger for too long though, anticipating it might make someone (read Vera, for example) uncomfortable. All of them nodded or hummed in agreement. "Excellent. My name is Jake Dillard, I'm gonna take care of your lessons and this is my friend Delilah Kyles, she's gonna give you more info about everything else. She's gonna help you to check in and whatever. You can nestle, grab a lunch and such things, we'll meet at half past three in a gym. Delilah gives you the address and so on and so on... See ya!" He waved and fleeted. Alright. Talk about ADHD. Vera grinned. This was going to be great.

The brunette woman who was standing by his side flashed them a wide smile. "Hi guys!" And she started talking and talking and talking, gave them several papers, pointed out that in the fitness centre they were going to train was various possibility to attend some other lessons, special prices for the participants, tipped them off for some restaurants and interesting places and talked and talked. Jesus. How did she manage to breathe between her words?

"Alright, that would be all." No way, really? "I'll give you keys to your rooms, it's two beds in each room, we already paired you. If you have any problem with your roomie, let me know, we can arrange some changes, but I'm sure that won't be necessary, right?"

Uh-huh. Vera hoped so.

"First things first, miss Walker, I dared to call you a cab, which would take you to your hotel-"

The blond woman, who came in right before the couple of over-cheerful puppies (and three other people arrived after them, one more guy and two women or rather girls, giggling and apologizing), stood up from her footstool, looking outraged.

"My hotel?" Ms.Walker blurted out, slightly confused and irritated.

Delilah's expression was pure confusion. "Yes. I was told this Inn is below your standards-"

Vera would thing the woman was a little snob, if she didn't seem taken aback and angry. "By whom?"

"Your mana-"

"Just- sorry. Is there any way I can stay here, with others? I don't want to be separated. If it's too much trouble, then I'll leave of course..." she offered, polite and kind, innocent smile on her lips, approaching the other woman. Vera was baffled. Ms.Walker was apparently someone and someone else wanted her to be treated better than she would wish. It kinda gave Vera the impression of a person, who was usually in the spotlight, desperately wanting to be hidden in the shadows for once. Should Vera know who this woman was? Apparently at least some of her accompanies did.

Delilah was all obliging – Vera thought she saw Ms.Walker rolled her eyes at her tone inconspicuously. "Of course. If that's what do you want. For now, one of our participants has room for herself, because another one bailed on us unexpectedly, so... sure. You'll be in room 21. Here," she handed her the keys and Ms.Walker smiled at her gratefully.

"Thank you. Thank you very much. I'm sorry for the trouble, Julia is sometimes just... too eager. So I can head to the room? Who's coming with me?" she looked around, her eyes going wide as the gasping woman (and dammit, Vera needed to learn her name soon, because that was just rude) lighted up like a Christmas tree, eyes hopeful.