Fancy Walmart Tea

Magsimula sa umpisa

He walks over to me, stirring the liquid in the mugs gently before he hands it to me.

I glance at him, "Without honey?"

He nods as I take the mug, "Just tea. It will help you relax."

I hum, taking a sip. I remember my mother used to drink tea without honey when she was anxious. I wonder if she knew that.

"So, what's the problem?" Thomas asks. 

I shrug, "I'm just scared, I guess. That was really unnerving. The entire situation - especially with Jacob there, being a part of it. I know he's not exactly my friend, but..."

Thomas nods, "No, I understand. Jacob's a good guy, really. He just..." Thomas falters.

"He just jumps innocent girls in parking lots for fun?"

Smirking, Thomas chuckles, "Not for fun."

"So," I start, staring at him, "What is it you do?"

Thomas closes his eyes, sighing, "I can't tell you that." He opens his eyes, looking steadily into mine, "But, I can promise you that I'm going to do everything I can to keep you out of this. You shouldn't be involved at all, and for them to jump to conclusions like that was unprofessional and dangerous."

"But...I'm already involved, aren't I?"

"Maybe, but I'm trying to get you un-involved. Trust me, Steph. You don't want to be a part of this."

"Then why are you involved in it?" I ask.

He frowns, breaking eye contact, "I can't tell you that either. Even if I could, it's stupid."

"If you would just tell me--"

"Steph, I can't tell you!" Thomas snaps, anger blazing behind his eyes. He takes a deep breath, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry it has to be so confusing for you and that you can't know what's going on, but it just has to be that way."

I nod, looking to the floor, embarrassed for prying.

"This is such a mess, " he groans, beginning to pace back and forth. He finally stops in front of me, staring me down, "Stephie, what am I supposed to do with you now?"

"What do you mean?"

He shakes his head, taking a deep breath. 

I set my empty cup of tea on the desk, "Maybe I should go."

"No." Thomas says quickly, "You don't have to go. That's not what I meant. I just...you can stay."

I stare at Thomas. He stands tall, but looks comfortable in his pajamas. His hair is a mess - or more so than usual, and his eyes are laced with concern. I notice his hand reached out slightly, to keep me from leaving. Thomas who used to be mean, foul, and nothing but bad news doesn't want me to leave. 

I nod slowly, an unusual, but nice feeling spreading through me , "Okay. I'll stay."

He smiles slightly, "Good."

We sit in silence for several minutes. I lean against the desk, staring at the floor, consumed by my thoughts. Thomas does the same. I can hear his quiet, shallow breathing from where he stands a few feet away. 

Thomas waves me over, "Here, you can bunk on the extra cot for the night, but I'll be kicking you out at six tomorrow morning. We don't want anyone to find you here. Especially Slate."

"Oh, I don't need to-"

"Nah, come on, Stephanie." He gestures me towards the extra cot," It'll be like a slumber party. A really, really awkward slumber party."