•~•CHAPTER 24•~•

Start from the beginning

Once I finally drop down to the ground, Carver jumps back up, hovering over me with anger in his beautiful, dark eyes.

He growls at me, anxiety and anger pouring off him in waves.

'You could've killed yourself! Is that what you're trying to do? I'm I that bad?!' He starts shouting in my head.

I roll my eyes at him, instantly earning another, deeper growl. Instead of answering him, I break my rule and move into his space, nuzzling my nose into his neck.

His growls lose all their anger and change almost to purrs. He tries to give me another anger growl but it has absolutely no threat to it.

'I wasn't trying to hurt myself. I've practiced since I got my wolf. Climbing trees is like my special skill.'

I don't even think he's paying attention to my words. The mate bond is humming between us, finally a contentness to it that wasn't there before we made contact.

After a few more moments of nuzzling him, his voice sounds in my head again. 'What happened to no touching?' He doesn't sound at all bothered, just curious and almost teasing.

'Rules are overrated,' I tease, giving his cheek a lick before turning and trotting away. After a brief moment of shock from him he follows after me.

We spend the next few hours racing through the forest, and to his dismay, I beat him every time. After a while, he starts giving me a tour of their territory, pointing out his favorite places and telling me how the land will change with the seasons.

I watch him more than the places he's describing. His eyes are animated. He looks alive as the wind blows through his fur and he talks about his pack lands.

I love how happy he looks.

'The territory is beautiful Faith, but I'm happy that I'm with you,' he suddenly laughs, obviously having been listening to my thoughts.

I look away, embarrassed at having been caught. He nudged his nose against my cheek until I turn back to meet his eyes.

'Don't be embarrassed around me Faith. You have nothing to be ashamed of. Stare all you want. I'm yours... but just remember that if you get, I get to,' he comforts me and teases me altogether. I roll my eyes at him again and he nips at my neck to warn me against using the disrespectful gesture against him.

It's crazy I wanted nothing to do with him a few days ago. Obviously having a Mate was something I wanted when I was younger, but after knowing that my mom...uhh lost her mind after my dad disappeared and after seeing how a male could treat the woman he claimed to love in Conner and Sage's relationship, I wasn't so excited.

But Carver... his persistence and clear adoration has forced me to give him a second glance. Even when he's angry with me, it's only been because he was worried about me or because I was rude first. He's already so protective. Just one day with him and he's already started building a home in my hardened heart.

I almost laugh out loud at the irony. I didn't want a man. I didn't want anyone but my sister. But here comes Carver. All possessive and loving and attentive and handsome... and powerful... and attractive..so attractive. Did I say that already?

'I think we should start heading back. The sun is about to set and I'm starving,' I change the subject, starting to walk back, only to be blocked by his much larger form.

'Thanks for giving me a chance today. I loved being with you all day. Maybe you can come out with me again soon, yeah?' He asks, now sounding kind of nervous. He won't even meet my eyes, stead staring down at the moss coating the ground around us.