6

Rio, Klaus and Marcel were at a bar out in the bayou. Marcel had asked for Klaus's company and Klaus asked Rio to come along. Marcel had also escorted Anya to Davina so the two could hang out.
"What's the matter Rebekah? You cross that I'm out with your ex?" Klaus started as he talked to his sister. Rio and Marcel were left alone.
"So, Marcellus. How has your life been in the past century?"
"It's been great. I raised this city from the ashes the Mikaelsons left behind and made it better. I got rid of the werewolves, stopped the witches. I'm at an all-powerful high."
"Some days it is so obvious Klaus raised you." Rio sighed and shook his head. Klaus walked back to the duo, visibly angry.
"Everything okay?" Marcel asked.
"Oh, just the usual. Temperamental sister. So, where's your informant?"
"Tomas? He's out sniffin' around. Grab a drink, and then we'll chase him down."
"Well, I suppose it will give us a chance to talk things over, like why you haven't returned Elijah. Maybe your young witch has grown partial to his company? She must get so bored."
"She's got a friend over." Marcel replied. "You never stop, do you?"
"You never answer, do you?" Klaus shot back.
"Why're you so curious about Davina?" Marcel inquired.
" If I had a 16-year-old all-powerful witch at my beck and call, you would wonder about her, too." Rio cleared his throat.
"You're never going to get her." Marcel smiled at his sire fakely.
"Can we not talk about all-powerful teenage witches like they're property? You guys seem to forget Anya fits into that category."
"Okay, okay. I'll ask the harmless questions, then. How did you meet Davina?"
"That might surprise you. This was eight months ago, before I banned the witches from using magic. Relations between vampires and witches weren't what you'd you call friendly, by any means, but let's just say we were a little less... divided. In fact, some of us were getting along just fine." Marcel smirked as he described the relationship he and Sophie Devereaux had. He told them about the witches's harvest ritual and how Sophie didn't believe in it, going to Father Kieran for help. Kieran had intervened with the witches, and his nephew had gotten hexed. Klaus seemed a little too interested in that, and a little angered, to Rio who frowned but shrugged it off. Marcel carried on with how Kieran had left town and stopped by to tell him everything. Marcel had gotten there in time to save Davina though he couldn't save the rest of the girls.
"You were quite the knight in shining armor. Though Davina must realize you owe her as much as she owes you. You never could have banned the witches from using magic without her." Klaus commented.
"She's not exactly besties with them. I'm protecting her. A lot of them would like to get their hands on her and kill her to finish the Harvest. If they don't, the other girls stay dead, and they lose their power."
"And if they do, you lose yours."
"I'm seriously not interested in this back and forth banter between the two of you. So, you two lads think you can get on the rest of the day without too much drama?" Rio asked. Klaus clapped him on the back.
"We'll be fine without a buffer Rio. I promise we won't paint this bar red." Klaus told him.
"Maybe I should stay?"
"We'll be fine, Rio." Marcel said. "Look, it's Rebekah."
"Okay. Please don't kill each other." Rio begged and sped off.

Rio found himself somewhere he didn't know. He just needed some time to himself. He missed Charlotte. His wife seemed to reflect all that was good in the world. She may not have had the best past, but her future was definitely the brightest. He loved Anya, sure- she was his daughter and the two had become even more closer as time grew past, but there was a hole in his heart, a place where Charlotte's presence always filled. He brought his phone out, and sighed. He knew he should call his brothers but he couldn't bring himself to. He put it away again. Maybe next time.

"Tiberius! What on earth are you doing here?" Elijah asked, once Rio walked inside. He was talking with his family.
"Well I heard Klaus was having a kid, and it was a scary thought." He joked. "Heard you were daggered."
"Yes, but you shouldn't be here. After what happened last year, I wouldn't expect you to come near this family for the next century."
"It wasn't your fault, Elijah. All your family did was lose a brother." Rio replied. Elijah walked over and gave Rio a hug, knowing how broken he was inside.
"You don't deserve this world."
"I'm fine, Elijah. Now what's going on?"
"Sophie Devereaux was lying to us all. And she's one of the most dangerous people we're to face."
"Because of her leverage and her reasoning?"
"Exactly." Elijah replied. Rio nodded his head.
"I should go pick up Anya." He said. "Be back soon."

"You're late."
"Sorry, kiddo." Rio apologised. "How was it? Having another witchy friend your age?"
"It was fine. She's really powerful too, so I was helping her gain control, try to find her anchor."
"Your mother would be really proud of you for helping her out."
"You think?" Anya asked.
"I know." He kissed her forehead and they headed back to the Mikaelson Manor.
"I'm home!" Anya called as she walked inside.
"Hello again, Anya."
"Hello, Elijah. Have you had more blood yet?"
"Yes, I have." Elijah replied. "Thank you for asking. Are you hungry?"
"Yeah. Can I order takeout?"
"Sure, Hayley is probably hungry too. Between Rebekah and Klaus, I'm not sure she got any proper food. Rio is the only one I trust to have made edible food." Anya giggled.
"Thanks, Elijah." She ran upstairs.
"So, Rio. Have you talked to your brothers since, you know?"
"Since Charlotte died?" He said bluntly. "You guys are the only people I have talked to. And Sam, she's been helping out a lot. It's been hard on her too. She thought Charlotte would be alive a lot longer seeing as she's a vampire."
"I'm sure they're missing you."
"Maybe tomorrow."
"I'm not saying be instant friends with them again. It's just, they're your brothers."
"I can't, Elijah. Stefan, Elena and Matt killed Finn, who's death caused Charlotte's. And it almost wasn't those two. It could have been Damon, or Stefan who delivered the final blow and they would have been responsible. They conspired against all of you. And if Klaus had died, they would have too. You're all originals and they didn't stop to think about all that could have happened. And they didn't stop there. They killed Kol. I have these friends- Gustav and Gabriela who are dead because they were sired by Kol. Because this time Elena and Jeremy killed him. They didn't learn their lessons the first time. All over the globe I lost friends, and no one was there to tell me. I got no phone call from my brothers telling me that they killed another original. People around them didn't tell me my friends were dead, because they weren't humans. If not for Klaus letting me know, I wouldn't know. So tell me, what am I supposed to say when they're the cause of yet more deaths of my friends?" Elijah was silent as he listened to Rio rant. "The last time I heard from them was at Lottie's funeral. Stefan tried to apologise but I didn't let him. Not at the funeral. And there has been nothing since. Why should I call them, Elijah? Tell me one good reason because being my brothers is not a good enough excuse for me to talk to those who have done nothing except plot to kill my friends and in doing so actually kill my wife- Anya's mother as well as people I came to trust and know as friends?"
"Family is forever, Rio." Was all Elijah said. Hayley stood in the doorway, seeing how angry Rio was. Upstairs, Anya stood at the foot of the stairs, just realising how much Rio had been through and how much he'd bottled up to keep strong for her. "I understand how mad you are at him, truly I do."
"How long did it take you to forgive Klaus, after everytime he wronged you? After Celeste? After he refused to save Katherine? After Marie? This was Charlotte, Elijah. I can't brush it off."
"Yes, well we may be vampires, but we don't all live forever. Don't take their lives for granted."
"What, like I took Charlotte's life for granted?"
"Rio, I just want what's best for you, and we all know your brothers attract trouble like moths to a flame. Call them every once in a while. You don't have to forgive them, but I know you and I know you'll beat yourself up if anything happens."
"Maybe tomorrow."