CHAPTER 12: COLD ROUGH HANDS

My back is stiff because of the hard ground and my feet are ice cold. A little breeze touches my bare skin. I open my heavy feeling eyes but all I see is darkness. The smell of rotten meat is invading my nose. Blindfolded I try to sit instead of lying on the cold hard ground. My hands are tied with a sharp rope and something is holding my left foot from moving. My head is spinning but I try to stay awake. 'What the hell is happening?' I ask myself. With my hands still tied I try to remove the cloth which is blocking my eyes. Suddenly I feel two big hands holding my wrists and putting them down. 'Who are you!?' I scream. 'What are you doing to me!?' Instead of an answer the cold hands press me against the hard ground and the smell of chloroform enters my nose. 'No please! Don't do that! Please let me go!' I try to free myself and scream hoping someone would hear me but it's too late. The with chloroform covered handkerchief presses against my lips and nose. Slowly my eyes roll back and everything is quiet.

BLANK...

'What are we going to do with her?' I hear a voice say. 'It's already four days after we picked her up. We can't do this anymore. Every time she wakes up the only thing she does is screaming. It's very annoying. Besides, she has to eat.' I hear a younger voice say. Four days? Is it already been four days since they kidnapped me? My head is spinning again. Every time I wake up I cannot remember what happened. The smell of rotten meat reminds me of the fact that I am kidnapped and the worst part of all is that I'm afraid no one will be missing me at home. 'Oh shut up. She will be eating as soon as she stops screaming like a little girl.' A lower and older voice says. When I woke up the past days I never ate the food they had put in front of me. I only drank the bowl of water. I am too afraid they put something in the food and I read somewhere that you can live without food for more than one week. First I thought I could deal with a couple days not eating because I would be found really quick. But now, after four days, I am not so sure anymore if people are even noticing my absence. 'Keep an eye on her when I'm away. When she wakes up you know what to do.' The older man demands and I have a feeling I heard the voice before. I hear the man leaving the room with big footsteps. The sound of someone breathing comes closer and I feel a cold breath against my neck. My body shivers and my still tied hands are shaky. 'Sorry.' The voice sounds honest. Why sorry? He got me in this mess! The cold breath leaves my neck and I hear someone walk away. I still lay on the hard ground but I'm too afraid to move. I am afraid he will notice I'm awake and that he will hurt me. A flashback takes me back in time and for a moment I am back in Seattle, where I lived one year ago.

" 'Mom, I am going to Macy! I will be home before diner!' I smile brightly and kiss my mother on her cheek. Before I can turn around two long warm arms wrap around my body and hold me tight. 'I love you honey. Don't be late. You promised your father to help him solve that puzzle remember?' I nod and look around the corner to see my dad reading the paper. The puzzle with an image of two puppies in a basket is already lying on the table, still unsolved. The man looks up from his paper and smiles. 'Bye dad, don't start before I am home!' I run to the front door and grasp my bag from the stairs. I hear my dad say something like that he won't start without me. I open the front door and jump on my bike. Let's go to Macy! When I arrive I knock on the big white door and look through the window hoping to see Macy. The hall is empty. I knock another time on the door but again no response. Strange... She told me she would be home today. I reach for my phone and see I received a message an hour ago. "ONE MESSAGE FROM MACY<3"

Macy<3: 'Hey Jayd! I had to buy milk because my mother forgot to get it earlier. Is it okay if we meet later today?' - 03:45pm

Great, I never use my phone... I will text her what time I can visit her and I can wait in the park. I always sit there on the bench waiting for the school bus to arrive. I always go to Macy before school starts so we don't have to drive to school on our own. We don't have a lot of friends, but we have each other. I don't mind Macy being my only friend. Now I can have her all for myself.