13. Thirteen Again

Start from the beginning

We arrived at the party twenty minutes later. It was the usual scene of people out front, red Solo cups in hand as they chatted with friends or in some cases made out with them. The inside of the house seemed a lot smaller than the exterior suggested. It was packed with people and I broke out into a sweat the moment I stepped inside. Maybe the track suits weren't a good idea.

We traveled into the family room which was less populated. The only occupants were a few couples who were looking for a more private place to hook up.

"It's hot as hell in here," Danesha complained, removing her blue hoodie.

I did the same, securing it around my waist. "So, whose party is this anyway?" I asked.

It was silent as Danesha and Kyla stared at Nikki.

"You didn't tell her?" Kyla demanded.

Nikki shrugged, trying to look innocent. "I forgot?"

"What's the issue?"

"Yeah, we're gonna let you handle that," Kyla said, leaving the room with Danesha in tow.

"Whose party is this?" I asked again, growing slightly impatient. 

"Don't be mad," she warned. "Jerrell's."

I blinked. Once. Twice. Three times before going, "What? But he lives—"

"They moved. Remember, I told you he transferred to my school," she explained. "You look mad."

Her observations were correct. It would have been nice to know I'd be attending my first and last boyfriend's party. The last time I saw him I acted like a complete fool.

"Look, I'm sorry I didn't say anything." She frowned. "But you wouldn't have come if I told you."

Correct again. The last party I attended that was thrown by Jerrell was four years ago. That one, party changed everything for me.

"I should've told you," Nikki said, solemnly. "We can go somewhere else."

They were so excited about this party, especially Nikki since she'd be able to see her secret boyfriend. I didn't want to ruin it for them. "No, that's fine," I told her. "I'll just go wait in the car."

"Uh-un, that's not why you came down here," she said, shaking her head. "The whole point is for us to spend some time together."

She was right. I had only the weekend to hang out with my favorite cousin and I wasn't going to waste it trying to avoid some guy. It'd been four years, I was sure he'd forgotten about me by now. Plus the party was pretty big and everyone was in costumes, I probably wouldn't even see him.

"You know what, forget I said anything," I told her. "You're right. Let's just try to enjoy the night."

A smile bloomed on her face. "Alright, I'm going to get some drinks. Meet me on the dance floor." With that, she disappeared into the crowd.

I followed her out, maneuvering my way through the killer clowns and sexy kittens to get to where the music was the loudest. That's where I found everyone dancing or having sex. I couldn't really tell the difference.

Danesha and Kyla were on the coffee table dancing and waved me to come up. I declined. I wanted to keep a low profile and table dancing would just draw attention.

I found a spot on the wall to occupy while I waited for my cousin. But instead of looking for her pink outfit, I was looking for Jerrell. It was hard because everyone was in masks or face paint. Still, when ever a masculine body passed by I wondered if Jerrell was the one behind the costume.