Waterfalls and Lightning Bolts

Inej

Inej was still thinking about it. That breathless kiss. The way it had made her feel. After Tante Heleen and the Menagerie, she had always assumed that she would never be able to touch someone like that again. It had been okay though - more than okay. She wasn't quite sure how she felt, but it wasn't bad. Jesper was back at the clearing they had claimed looking rattled. Did he know? Wether or not he didn't, Inej was worried about him. It was like being here just disagreed with him. It wasn't Wylan's death; he had been more reclusive than usual before then. In training, he had slowly moved himself away from the others. At first, it had been small changes. He wouldn't talk as much at lunch, or didn't say hi inbetween sessions. Then it became more obvious. He started to less time with us, not sit with us at lunch.

Inej hoped none of them survived. It was morbid, but she just really didn't want to watch her friends die, and have to live knowing that she had survived. Jesper, ahe knew felt the same, and Kaz... Inej found it hard to be sure about him. Would he mpve on, or miss her as much as she would miss him?

She couldn't survive, but wanted to wnd it herself. For it to be her choice, not a stranger who didn'tknow her. Who just wanted to survive. It was a little petty, yes, bit she had been forced too much in the past. It was her choice, because it was her right, after all she had suffered, to make that choice. Her saints would give her the chance, surely she deserved that at least.

Would Jesper appreciate her company, or did he want to be alone. He had offered no explanation, but was increasingly vacant. Making the decision, she silently sat beside him, leaving it as his decision whether or not to speak to her. He remained silent. Before, she would never have believed it. Now, it made sense. The sky crackled, and out of nowhere? a lightning bolt appeared. Inej couldn't remember moving, but suddenly she was wix meters away. How had that happened? The bolt of lightning struck Jesper. How had she moved so fast? And Jesper was- dead?