The Reaping

Inej

Inej spun, suddenly dizzy in her new surroundings, blinded by the sunlight that contrasted so much with the Ketterdam night she had just arrived from. How was she here? And more importantly, how could she get back? Were the others with her? A girl beside Inej jostled her, with which Inej decided to reward with a death stare. As far as she could tell, she was in a crowd of maybe five hundred, all girls, with an equally large crowd of boys on the other side of an aisle. Directly ahead was a stage with some sort of glowing box showing the crowd itself behind her. What was it? Could it be magic? Nina told her that Grisha weren't magic, and anyway, Inej had never seen Grisha power like that. Then a man in a suit - maybe a merch? - walked onto the stage. 

"Good afternoon, and happy hunger games!" Though his words seemed happy, his voice had a bored tone, as if he had said it a million times before. "I would like to welcome to the stage, Effie Trinket!" The audience applauded politely, while a woman entered stage. She was ridiculous. She must have been wearing at least five layers of make-up, and she wore the highest heels Inej had ever seen - even on Tante Heleen! But her hair was the main shock. Bright pink, it rose up in a ball above Effie's head (For Inej had now decided that it must have been Effie).

"Welcome, welcome." Even her voice was silly. "Happy hunger games, and may the odds be ever in your favour. Now, since this is our first quarter quell ever - how exciting! - as you all know, we will be taking not only those from eighteen to twelve, but adults and children, too! I can't wait! But before the excitement can begin, we must first pick our tributes. Ladies first!"

What were these hunger games? What were tributes? What was a quarter quell? Where are the others? Inej stared in bewilderment as The Pink Hair (Otherwise known as Effie Trinket) reached into one of the two bowls on the stage and pulled out a slip of paper, which she proceeded to unfold.       "I can feel the tension. Our first female tribute is.......... Inej Ghafa!"

What? Inej had been there for five minutes, how could her name be in there? What did it mean? What was she meant to do now? In her head, Inej recited the names of her saints.                     Sankt Petyr, Sankta Alina, Sankta Marya, Sankta Anastsia, Sankt Vladmir, Sankta Lizabeta. But her saints did not bring the usual comfort. Her saints had deserted her. Maybe Kaz would come for her? It was a silly hope, but a comforting one. He had promised her. After all, he did protect his investments. Inej wondered if she were still a mere investment. She would hope not. But Kaz was unpredictable. The thought of him was comforting, though. How depressing. The thought of Kaz Brekker, Dirty Hands was comforting. 

"Don't be nervous! Come up on the stage, Inej! I won't bite!" No, this woman would be more likely to roast her alive over a spit. Or get her lackeys to do it. After, of course, going through Inej's pockets. Nevertheless, Inej Ghafa, The Wraith, made her way up the long journey to the stage.