Training

Jesper

Jesper was in heaven. Just look at all those guns, waiting for someone like him. And all the others were there with him! Wylan, strangely actually looking like Wylan - not Kuwei, but his original face. Jesper couldn't help staring, just a tiny bit. He hadn't seen the real Wylan for what felt like ages, though in reality was just a few days. Inej, blending in with the shadows, only visible because of Jesper's scanning. Nina, poking a Matthias trying very hard not to smile. And there was Kaz.

"Scheming face."

"Definitely", Inej replied.

"Hi, Wraith. What -"

At that point, the woman at the front started talking.

"I know, everyone here wants to fight, but many of you will die because of the environment, not the other tributes. Try rope tying, for example."

As soon as she'd stopped talking, the group gathered.

"Not to worry anyone," Wylan said, "but. We. Are. Going. To. Die."

"If we're lucky, only five of us will die." Nina pointed out.

"None of us are dying", Kaz claimed.

"And how are we going to pull that off?" Nina asked. "There can only be one victor."

"I'm still working that out", Kaz admitted.

"Maybe if everyone is is dead and we refuse to kill each other, they'll have six", reasoned Inej.

"Or just kill off five of us", Wylan said darkly.

"He's thoroughly corrupted!" Jesper exclaimed.

"You have said that before", Wylan said.

"Yes, but it comes through more strongly each time. Anyone thinks Wylan doesn't need more appropriate friends?"

No one said anything.

"Ok, here's the plan. We split up and each take one station. All of us can fight, except Wylan. And to some extent, Nina."

"I can fight! I'm Grisha, and a member of the second army!"

"Yes, and as far as we can tell, you need dead bodies for that to work. We don't know where we'll be put, and until someone's dead, it's pointless."

"Also, they collect the bodies."

"See? You and Wylan learn how to fight. The rest of us split up and go to stations we know nothing about." Just at that point, Rollins sauntered over.

"I wonder which of you will die first. You're such a tight little group, so breaking you apart would be... interesting." He then walked back away, towards Van Eck.

"Do you think they're planning something?" Asked Wylan.

"Looks like it." Jesper replied.

"Good. Neither are very trusting, so it won't work out." Kaz stated.

"Maybe they'll kill each other." Nina suggested.

"Nina!"

"What Matthias?"

"It isn't honorable to wish such a death on someone."

"So? Look what Van Eck did to Inej. How he treated Wylan. Rollins isn't exactly a saint either." 

"As much as I'd love to listen to you all day, we have work to do." Nina stuck her tongue out at Kaz, but did as he asked.

An hour later, Jesper was still at the fire starting station, still unsuccessful. Wanting to scream, as the instructor did yet another of his examples. All of which were successful. It just wasn't fair. He was doing exactly what he was told to do, and still wasn't getting anywhere. Maybe he'd leave this to someone else. He got up to leave, and as he passed Inej, said,

"Could you do the fire starting station for me? It's impossible!" Inej laughed, then said,

"Ok. I can kind of remember how to, from the caravan, but it's probably a good idea to refresh my memory." Not. Fair. How come everyone else could do it? 

"Thanks."

Finally, after hours of trying (and usually failing) to learn new skills, it was lunch. They pulled two tables together, and Inej was trying to teach him the fire starting technique. Kaz sat next to Inej, then said,

"Jesper, you were meant to do the fire starting. Not Inej."

"I did for an hour. It is impossible. Thank you so much for asking. Your help is appreciated."

Kaz rolled his eyes, but didn't surprisingly argue further.

"Kaz?" Inej asked, "What happened to your leg?"

"They healed it." He said it like he'd say they chopped it off. 

"It's not really that bad, Kaz. The only harm it really does is to your reputation. No one here has even heard of you." Inej said. Jesper had to admire her bravery.  To him, any subject that went anywhere near Kaz's past, even near past, was unapproachable.

"It's not just that." Inej fell silent. Jesper wondered what that meant. Maybe it didn't really mean anything. But, again, it reminded him that Inej was closer to Kaz than he could ever be.