Chapter Ten

I zipped up my leather jacket as I sat at an outside table, waiting for Mary's arrival. We were having lunch at a small café just down the road from where she and John lived. A small green and gold awning hung over my head, blocking most of the wind that was blowing that day and my small cup of coffee kept my hands warm. I would have asked for an inside seat, but the tables were all full. I looked up at the sound of one of the black metal chairs scratching against the coble stone side walk.

"I'm so glad you actually agreed to this," Mary said with a small smile as she took her seat across from me. "When you didn't answer when I called I thought that maybe that was your way of denying me."

"I, um, had a late night last night, so I woke up late this morning and missed your call. I'm truly shocked that you're ready to move past all of this." I picked up my coffee and took a sip as I felt my phone vibrate once in my pocket.

"Well, for the sake of Sherlock and John, I decided that maybe we should let bygones be bygones. And if Sherlock can't read anything from you that would give him a hint that you're lying about all of this, then I guess maybe I can learn to trust you to. It may take a while, but I think I can do it."

"I'm glad you feel that way. I really have changed Mary. I've change quite a bit since our first encounter. I-" My phone rang and I sighed, "Hold on just a second, sorry."

I answered my phone, trying to hide a grimace. "Hello?"

"You should really answer when somebody texts you, Kitten," Jim's voice rang from the other end and I rolled my eyes, hanging up.

"Telesales are really annoying. You tell them to put you on the 'do not call' list, but they call anyway." I shrugged and turned my phone off, not wanting to bother with Jim's texts. I didn't understand why he was still texting me. He was the one that got rid of me because he didn't want me anymore. It wasn't my fault he was bored with me at the time.

"They call the house all the time. It's kind of funny seeing John get aggravated with it. He's quite adorable when he's upset." Mary smiled slightly as she tried to nonchalantly glance down at my phone that I had left lying on the black metal table.

"Sherlock just doesn't answer his phone. There's actually been a few times when his phone was in his jacket that he was wearing, but he made me answer. He can be such a child sometimes," I said as I laid my phone in my lap. "I'm really surprised that you're settling down now, though. I'm happy for you. What causes such a great assassin like yourself to decide to want to give that up and start a family?"

She shrugged as she took a sip of tea and looked out to the now rainy streets.

"Everyone eventually decides to settle down, don't you think? I hear you're awfully cozy with Greg, so maybe he'll be the one to make you want to do the same."

"I'm 37. If I haven't settled down by now, then I doubt I ever will," I muttered as I looked down at my shoes with a slight blush on my cheeks.

"Oh honey, I'm older than you and I'm just now starting a family. It's never too late." She smiled sweetly and I sighed. The two of us took to an awkward silence, so I turned my phone back on and waited for the ambush of texts and missed calls I would get.

My phone began to vibrate endlessly, so I excused myself to the restroom and tried to deal with it. I had a few missed texts and calls from Jim and a couple of texts from Sherlock and Mycroft. I decided to deal with Jim first. I clicked his number and held my phone up to my ear, awaiting the worst.

"My, my Victoria, this does seem to be a problem, doesn't it? You can't keep ignoring me like this." I growled at his use of my name.

"Don't you dare even start this, James. And it seems like you've forgotten our situation. You can't keep calling me, Jimmy Boy. It's not healthy for either of us."

"Eventually you'll warm back up to me. We always get into little tiff's like this. I'm sure it'll be over soon and we can go on with our lives." I could hear the smirk in his voice.

"And what if I don't, Jim? What then? You'll move on and find another pet? What about Sebastian? I'm sure he's missing your attention by now," I hissed into the phone and hung up just as the door opened. I turned around to be greeted by a silenced barrel of a gun right in my face. I rolled my eyes in irritation and looked straight at Mary.

"Can this day get any better?" I growled in total aggravation. "In case you were wondering, that conversation wasn't what you thought it was. Actually, it was me trying to get rid of him. Poor thing just can't live without me. Is there any way you could avoid telling either of my brothers about this?"

"I was really hoping that I wouldn't have to bring this out tonight. I was truly looking forward to actually putting this all behind us, but I guess that's not happening any time soon. What if I told Sherlock?" she asked quietly.

"Did you happen to miss the part where I just asked you not to tell him? I really don't have time for this." In one swift moment I was able to switch the gun from her hand to mine, pointing it straight between her eyes then down at her stomach. "It's a real nice family you've got starting up here, Mary. It really would be a shame if something were to happen to them."

"You wouldn't!" she growled defensively.

"Oh, but I would." I lied.

A/N: Oh wow guys! I'm so sorry for taking so long to get this small part up, but thank you for sticking with me and helping me reach 800+ reads. You guys are the best!!

The Mystery of Jayden Holmes (A Greg Lestrade fanfic)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें