The One With All the Silence

-The Wesley's-
Zadie's POV:

Silence. My house was surely that. My sisters went to stay with Jamie and my mom took a trip when she heard the news. There was no funeral-not even a memorial service. No one had been up to arranging one. We only sat in silence. I stayed at my house to keep things in check and to make sure that the pity food dropped off by the neighbors didn't go bad. I, of course, at it even if I didn't have any appetite. I wasn't going to let myself slip into such a dark place where there was no escape. I knew, eventually, I would move on. Probably not this week, month, year, or even decade, but eventually. My dad wouldn't want me to disconnect myself from the world-although, that's what I've basically done.

I hadn't talked to anyone in a week-yeah, it's already been that long. All I did was sit at my kitchen table with my head in my hands. I know that this week of silence had been worrying the Davenport's, James', and Leo, but I couldn't help that. Occasionally, I would turn on a song here or there-slow, sad ones of course. I know it didn't help, but it gave me comfort for some odd reason. I just couldn't understand. He was such a good man.

The doorbell rang, bringing me out of my trace. Hearing noises other than the creaking of my house was strange to my ears. Usually, it was a family friend dropping off a meal on the doorstep with an attached note saying something like 'sorry for your loss' or 'thinking of you in this hard moment'. I know, it was nice, but it didn't feel that way. I was debating going to the door when it rang again, but I did. To my surprise, it wasn't another casserole or bread pudding.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I'm came to check on you. Everyone's worried sick." Davenport answered me.

"Tell them I'm okay." I began to shut the door.

"Zadie, this isn't healthy. You shouldn't be here by yourself." He walked in, uninvited.

"Listen, Davenport, I'm seriously not in a mood to see anyone." I told him, continuing to hold the door open.

"Your step mom called me." It kinda caught me off guard. "She wanted me to tell you that the judge is ready to go over the will and she wanted me to ask you. I felt awful even considering it, but she insisted."

"I'm just not ready yet." I shook my head.

"Zadie, come on. At least talk to Chase or Delta."

"I said I'm not ready!" I snapped, angrily.

He slowly nodded. "I wasn't best friends with your dad, but he was a good man, and I know that he wouldn't want to see you like this."

"Just go." I mumbled.

"Please, just-" He pushed.

"Davenport, please, just go!" I stood up harshly from the kitchen table.

"Okay." He nodded, walking to the door. I sat back down as he let himself out, pulling my knee up to my chest and resting my chin on it.

-The Davenport's-
Delta's POV:

Davenport had gone to Zadie's to tell her about the will. I sat in silence with Adam, Bree, Chase, and Leo. Tasha was at Jamie's comforting her. No one dared to talk until Davenport returned with an update on our best friend. When I went down there, she wouldn't even answer the door.

The door opened and closed-it was Davenport. We all looked to him for an answer, but all he did was shrug and shake his head.

"Poor Zadie." Bree said, looking at the floor. "I can't imagine what she's going through."

Chase shook his head, angrily and stood up, quickly marching out the door, without being stopped. Maybe he'll have some luck.

"It's not fair." Leo added, sadly. "Zadie shouldn't be going through this alone."