Chapter Four

"Soooo how was your first day? Did you kill anyone?" John asked when I hopped into his truck. He was a retired fireman, so he didn't work which meant he could pick me and Madi up from school.

"No dead bodies... yet. How was school Madi?" I asked the distracted 9 year old. She was too busy playing Roblox on her phone to answer me. I shrugged it off as I pulled out my phone. "Oh yeah, can Gage come over?" I added.

"Sure, but I can't give him a ride home. Your momma wants to go out to dinner tonight. Said there is some big news she wants to tell us," John answered. I was quite confused. My mom never wants to go out to dinner. Last time we did was when she told me we were moving in with John. That was 2 years ago.

"Can't he just come to dinner with us? Mom likes him and I'm sure she woldn't mind. Besides, Gage's parents aren't even home," I informed as we pulled out of the school's vicinity. My mom didn't usually care if Gage hung out. She actually enjoyed his company.

"No can do. She said strictly the 4 of us. I hate to break it to you, but Gage makes 5. Sorry Elle," John replied with. I, being a normal teenage girl, rolled my eyes. What could be SO important that Gage couldn't come with us? Instead of arguing, I just texted Gage.

Me: Hey John said u could come over but he can't give u a ride home

Gage: Ok :) Why can't he gimme a ride

Me: Idk my momma wants to go to dinner. Said she needs to talk about sum

Gage: Is everything ok?

Me: I think so. I'll tell you l8er tho

Gage: K. Omw now

Me: Kk love u

Gage: ly2

We drove home in almost complete silence. This was nothing new.

10 MINUTES LATER

"AHH!" I screamed as Gage ran in and tackled me into the couch. He then started to tickle me which lead to more shrieks.

"Hey beautiful," he whispered into my ear. He looked at me and while I was still pinned on the couch. He leaned down and kissed me right as John walked in.

"Woah woah woah too much PDA!" John shrieked as turning away. My face turned bright red as Gage climbed off of me.

"Sorry John," I cowardly-said. I grabbed Gage's hand and went into the kitchen with him. We grabbed a bag of salt-n-vinegar chips. I popped one into my mouth as I pulled myself onto the counter. Gage approached me slowly and grabbed my leg.

"God you're so beautiful," he said as he kissed me. I giggled and hopped off the counter into his arms. He raised his eyebrow and kissed my chin.

"I love you," I whispered into his ear. I really did. This was one of those moments where I knew I loved him.

"I love you too," he said as he set me on the ground. This would be one of the last times my life would be semi-normal. My life was about to change in ways I never thought it would.