CHAPTER 6

I quickly finished my plantain, disposed my beans, and went to wash my plate. I also had clothes to wash, and I didn't want to be late to prep. The slightly dusty pathway to the hostel was empty and silent. No single soul was outside, they dared not. As I was about to climb the stairs that led to the hostel, I jammed the one person that isn't supposed to meet me out of the hostel, the school administrator - my maternal uncle.

"What are you doing out?" he asked me in a calm voice.

"I just finished eating," I hurriedly answered him, wanting him to release me, so other students won't see and say his favoring me above others. Because, he was supposed to punish me immediately he sighted me. It was siesta time, and it was a rule that no one must be out by that time.

He looked at me calmly and with pity. I bet my mother had told him all that's going, since he was her favorite and closet brother. "Esse," he finally spoke. After taking his time to stare at me in pity. "You know you can always come to me for help or anything right? I'm always in my office."

I simply nodded, knowing that if I speak, it would lead to another question. My feet began to tap continuously, while I kept on looking around. I didn't want students to know he was my uncle, so people wouldn't start approaching me for silly helps. Even if a few of them knew.

He noticed my tapping feet and unsteady gaze. So he dismissed me. "You can go now. But, don't forget to reach out to me." With that, he walked away without looking back.

I quickly made my way to the dorm. It was almost empty, as almost all the girls were washing their clothes. That was the main reason behind my rushing to the hostel. I quickly changed from my school uniform to towel, as I grabbed my bowls and buckets from the bucket cubicle. I didn't bother carrying soap, knowing fully well that one of the girls would be with my soap jar. I rushed out to join the girls.

As expected, Amarachi was with my soap jar. She and Dammy where engrossed in a talk, so I joined them. I dropped my bowl and put my bucket under the tap that was directly in front of them, turning it on. "What are you guys talking about?" I tried to blend in instantly, as I dropped my uniform and underwear into my small bowl.

"They're collecting our laptops for checking tonight, and will be returning it tomorrow night," Amarachi quickly answered me, while Dammy nodded.

I sighed. "Why?"

"Because some SSS2 students were caught with pornographic items on their system, so they're checking everyone's system," Dammy answered this time around, making me groan.

SSS2 students were fond of getting all students into trouble, always having different things that are not allowed on their system.

I wasn't really bothered, because I knew how to maneuver my way. I knew Joseph was going to be one of the boys in charge of the checking and ransacking of systems. And, if he didn't help, I had an higher help.

I quickly washed my clothes, while the girls and I kept on gisting. After we finished washing, we had our bath and headed to the school premises immediately. It was two minutes before prep we arrived at school, so we were lucky. I hated when the class was full, and I had to walk into the awkward silence and stares. And also, luckily for me Joseph was also in class already.

Immediately I sat down, I turned to him. "They're going to collect our laptops today and check for films," I quickly said, skipping chit chats.

His eyes were already fixed on me before I turned to him. He nodded. "I know." I grinned sillily at him, making him crack a smile. "I know, I know. I should help you and the girls, right?"

I nodded affirmatively.

He chuckled. "Anything for you."

It sounded so platonic, yet I felt tingles run down my spine. I smiled and turned to my front. And as predicted, Mr. Tony - one of our Computer teachers - walked into the class almost immediately, ask all of us to submit our laptops. The news had spread so wide, that everyone was waiting for the moment. We all walked to the front of the class to drop it. He came along with six SSS1 students, who helped him carry the laptops. As he was leaving, he called Joseph, Tolu, Ebuka, and Johnson to follow him. We all knew why.