The Labyrinth of Shalace

Start from the beginning

Quietly she opened the door and walked inside with Cavin right behind her. As she stepped inside she found herself in a small book store. She walked past a couple of round racks and a large book shelf before the space opened up to reveal a couple of tables. Books lined all of the walls and there were smaller racks of books sporadically placed around the store.

Callista walked past the two tables and headed further into the back. Normally she’d have questioned why she hadn’t seen anyone but her focus was on the blonde man she’d seen outside.

As a curved entryway came up on her right she stepped into another area of the store. She felt the pull of the magic and was surprised to see there was no one there. She looked at the bench seating against the wall and her eyes fell on the green backpack.

“Who are you?” Callista turned to see the stranger standing at an entryway to another hallway off to her left away from the windows and the entrance she had come through. His eyes were full of curiosity and something else.

“Do you truly need to be told?” Cavin asked.

For a moment the blonde man just looked at the captain. He shifted his green eyes back to Callista and then to her right hand. He picked up her right hand and looked at the ring on her finger. The ring he’d seen so many times in his dreams. Looking up he was surprised to find he was so close to her. “Sorry.” He immediately released her hand. Stepping away from her he looked out the window. “It’s true then.” Without turning around he said, “Shalace is real.” Slowly he turned to face the woman and man he didn’t know. “You’re the one we’ve been waiting for.”

“We?” Cavin asked.

“My Uncle Stephawn.”

“What’s your name?” Callista asked.

“Leighton,” He replied. “I’m sorry it’s just…”

“It’s a lot to take in I know,” Callista assured him. “I was raised here in the mortal realm myself.”

“Where is your Uncle?” Braiden asked. Callista was a little surprised to see him but said nothing. She had been so focused on finding Leighton she hadn’t notice anyone else but Cavin.

“Leighton do you…” Cavin and Callista turned to see a dark haired man enter their area. He immediately stopped. A book fell from his hands but he paid it no attention.

“Your Majesty,” he said in both awe and wonder. He immediately bowed to Callista going so far as to go down on one knee.

“Please don’t,” Callista said and touching him guided him back into a standing position. “Who knows who could walk in.”

“What service can I give you?” Leighton’s uncle asked.

“It’s time for Tutela Veneficus to rise again,” Callista told him. “The old and the new.”

“I may be out of practice but it would be an honor my lady,” Stephawn replied. He turned to look at his nephew. “It is time for me to retake my place.”

“And your nephew to join you,” Callista informed him. “I have been guided to him. His destiny lies in Shalace as well.”

“Let me get my trunk from the back and we will go with you.” Callista nodded and Stephawn quickly headed into the back.

She looked over at Leighton to see he was still in awe of what was happening. “Is there anything you need to get?” Callista asked him.

“The only thing I need is in my bag,” he replied. Callista only nodded. A few minutes later Stephawn returned and after meeting up with the others they returned to the Goblin Kingdom.