Dream Meeting Part 8

Andrew wanted nothing more than to beat his head on the nearest wall as he stared up at the open air above him from where he laid on the ground yet again. He watched as Gau appeared over him. He looked down at him and shook his head. "I might not be cut out for swords Gau," Andrew sighed feeling both annoyed and frustrated.

"I fear if you don't show improvement soon I shall have to agree with you," The Shadow Elf replied not hiding he too was disappointed. He stepped back as Andrew sat up from his place on the ground. "You are having a rather difficult time with this."

"It's probably the human in him," Dezba commented not hiding her disdain for humans.

"Enough!" Minax said having heard her. Dezba instantly bowed her head to her king and fell silent. Ignoring her he turned his attention towards his nephew. It was clear the human raised boy was trying but for some reason he wasn't understanding.

"I'm sorry," Andrew apologized not knowing what else to say.

A frown crossed the king's face. Andrew was a polite boy and in some ways too polite for the king's taste. "Stop apologizing," he said firmly. "Go and practice archery instead." Andrew got up and giving him a bow walked away. "He may be lacking when it comes to fencing but he is rather skilled with a bow," he said and looked over at Dezba. "Not another word about his mother or that part of his heritage!" he warned. "I need him focused here not on his mother. Callista and those here from his past are the only acceptable subject; especially Callista." More than one elf lowered their heads not daring to argue with their king.

Andrew was very successful in his archery practice but his second attempt at fencing just wasn't any better. Finally Minax had decided training was over for the day. After spending the entire day training the teenager was completely exhausted. After finishing his meal he went to his room and headed for bed. Most of his body was already sore from the training and he was too tired to even try and stay awake any longer.

He had barely closed his eyes when he found himself in a forest at night. Andrew looked around but didn't recognize where he was. "Where am I?" he wondered.

"The Nightmare Forest."

Andrew turned around and was more than a little surprised to see Callista leaning on a tree in a white off the shoulder lace gown. "You look beautiful," he told her. A smile crossed her face. "I wish this was real."

"It is, in a way," she told him. She let out a light laugh understanding her friend's confusion. "I am here and you are sort of here. You're asleep Andrew. However I am in the Nightmare Forest in the Labyrinth," Callista explained. "You aren't truly physically here but you are here in your dream." Andrew went to ask something and she waived her hand. "Don't ask me to explain it any better Andrew I'm still trying to understand it. When you're asleep and I'm here I can talk to you and see you."

"But this is actually happening," Andrew said still trying to wrap his head around what was real and what was not.

"Shalace is complicated Andrew. That's the first thing you need to learn," Callista said gently as she stepped away from the tree.

"Well maybe this lesson will go better than my fencing one," He sighed.

Callista tilted her head to the right. "You're learning to fence?" she asked. The blonde young woman saw the frustration on his face. "Okay so you're trying to learn to fence."

"It's so damn difficult!" Andrew complained. "I think all I do is end up on the ground. Trust me even they're getting tired of watching me lying on the ground!"

"Well that gives me one of my answers," Callista told her friend. "If they are teaching you to fence you clearly aren't a prisoner." Andrew shook his head he wasn't. She walked a little closer and said, "What are you doing with the Dryadale Umbra?"