t w o

So after an hour of contemplating whether to call Matt or not, I find my fingers already dialing his number before my mind could catch up. He answered on the first ring.

"Matt?" I squeaked.

"What do you want?" He said harshly. This all of a sudden made my blood boil.

"Can you just explain to me what the hell happened back there?"

"There's not much to explain. I basically said he's going to break your heart."

"But you didn't have to walk away like that." I trailed off as I traced the embroidering on my comforter.

"I felt it was necessary." He said with a 'matter-of-a-fact' tone of voice.

"It's really wasn't. So what now? Now you hate me?"

"I don't hate you. I just think it's best if we don't talk anymore ok?" His voice cracked on the other line.

"But Matt we-" He cut me off, hanging up. A tear slid down my cheek. I put my head between my knees and sobbed, hugging my shins. I was so confused. Yesterday we were hanging out laughing like we always do and now he doesn't even want to talk to me again? How do I not talk to someone I've been best friends with since we were in grade school? I was starting to regret saying yes to James. It costed me the best friendship I've ever had.