n i n e

Matt's POV
I tried to sum up everything that just happened and I'm at an utter loss for words. But here I am holding one of the most precious people in the world to me in my arms.

My shirt that had a huge stain from her drink on it and now her makeup is being absorbed in my white cotton shirt that I will more than likely be throwing away after tonight. I want to get her out of here but what if people see us leave together? They might assume things. That will only complicate her life more. I'm no good for her. Whether we are just friends or not it's just best if I'm not involved with her as much as it fucking hurts me to admit that to myself. I just need to talk to her first. Explain why I walked away in the first place.

Fuck it.

I pulled away from the hug and grabbed her hand and pulled out Alex's keys to unlock his car. He won't even realize it's gone.
"W-Where are we going?" She sniffles and wipes under her eyes.
"We are gonna forget this night happened." I simply say as I open the passenger's door for her. She just looked up at me sniffling again.
"I'm not getting in." She said boldly.
"Why not?"
"Don't think I trust you again just because you got me away from a sleazy drunk." She spat.
"Are you serious right now? I literally just comforted you and rescued you in your time of need. I didn't even get so much as a thank you not that I felt I needed one but-" Failing at hiding the annoyance in my tone, I stopped talking before I said anything that I would regret. She looked at me and pursed her lips and ran her fingers through her long brown hair and proceeded to get in the car giving up. I sighed in relief as I shut the door and ran to the other side to get in.

I drove for about 10 minutes before reaching the nearest McDonald's pulling into the drive thru line. She's been looking down at her lap the whole time we've been in the car. I order my usual meal and I order her a large fry and a chocolate milkshake. Her favorite thing to get from here.

"You remembered." She said lifting her face for the first time and setting her dark gaze on me, her expression unreadable.
"How could I forget?" I gave a small smile hoping for her to return one but she was still set on that poker face.

I paid for the food and decided to park so we could eat. I learned not to eat and drive and I don't wanna talk about that mess.
"This is much better than being at that party that's for sure." I said as I shoved a couple of fries in my mouth.
She looked at me with her big brown eyes that can make a guy melt into putty.
"Why are you doing this?" She studied my face looking for an answer.
"Doing what?"
"This." She gestured towards the food and the car.
"I wanted to help you." I kept my answer short and sweet.
"But why?" She questioned again looking further for a more specific answer.
"I couldn't stand to see you like that." I answered truthfully. And she scoffed which shocked me and my heartbeat started to accelerate. She can be so unpredictable sometimes.
"Since when do you even care?" She blurted.
"Always. I never stopped caring." I know she can't believe the words I'm saying but I don't expect her to. I've treated her horribly and it's been eating away at my insides.
"You are so full of shit. You acted like I was nothing, like I didn't even exist." The sentence progressively has gotten louder into a scream. Tears began to form in her eyes and I could tell she was trying to fight them off. "It was like we had never met, like you had never cared for me." Her voice was now a mere whisper that was barely audible. With that she got out of the car and started to walk.
"Shit." I mumbled as I fiddled with the keys sticking them in the ignition and backing out of the parking spot. I spotted her on the sidewalk and I drove the car at her speed close to her and lowered the window.
"Get in the car." I said with a stern tone but I received no response. "Kassandra, it is 2 in the morning I'm not letting you walk home."
She shook her head still refusing. "I said get in the god damned car." I yelled growing impatient.
"No." She shook her head.
"Please. I would never let myself live it down if something happened to you. At least let me drive you home." I pleaded, growing desperate. She stopped walking and I immediately stopped the car. She turned to me and huffed and got back in the car without another word said.
"West Pine str-" She started to recite her address.
"I know." I interrupted.