37. Tit for Tat

Semi Unedited, probably some mistakes... but it's also 4:05 AM and I'm eleventy seven days behind so who gives a rat's ass, right? Right. Enjoy!

Iriye did this thing that his mother did as well

Iriye did this thing that his mother did as well. Mariah had been doing it for as long as Micah could remember. It was a simple, obliviously overtly motherly action, and now, as he sat at the island, Micah knew the expression on his face looked exactly like his father's when he would watch his wife.

Smitten.

Completely and utterly awestruck.

Total wonderment.

To think that Micah used to ask his Daddy why he looked at his Momma like that. And now he knew entirely why. Watching his Iris as she stood at the stove, swaying with as much grace, if not more, than a willow tree. The motion was trance-inducing, watching her sway her hips in an imaginary figure eight, and something about that action had stopped Micah. Before, he'd been on the way out the front door. Iri needed her oil changed, and he'd planned to do that until the moment when he had passed the kitchen.

Like she had been since she'd come in, Iri was swaying side to side, humming quietly as she cooked at the stove. Sylas was sitting off to the side, playing with his cars, completely content. He'd walked into the living room, where Iri had been sitting on the couch, working on her laptop, and asked her to, "Please make me 'ghetti,"

Micah had offered, already standing up, and telling Iri that he would handle it, but she declined, giving him a distracted smile as she stood up and headed for the kitchen.

Iri had been completely stressed out for days now. It had been almost a week since he'd taken care of his problem, but his wounds were taking a little bit longer to heal, at least in Micah's eyes. He wasn't understanding that there wasn't a way for him to speed up the process, and apparently super-speedy healing was not one of his many gifts. His woman seemed to think something was going to go wrong during the healing process and the way she checked on him, and how many times a day she checked on him was bordering obsessive.

He didn't say anything, though.

At this point, Iri could do whatever she wanted to him, and Micah would take it with a smile. They'd had that talk where she'd laid down the rules, and Micah understood where she was coming from and why she wanted him to do the things she wanted him to do... or stop doing. Iri just didn't seem to think he'd keep his word.

He couldn't blame her. He had been pretty terrible at it in the past.

His gaze floated back to Iriye. She seemed so calm, so at ease. Micah was itching to touch her, yet he didn't want to disturb her. Iri being content or feeling tranquil spread throughout the house. Sy was calm. Micah was calm. It was like an aura. Maybe because she hadn't felt so calm in so a long time. She was right when she'd said he'd been stressing her out. Micah had just been too involved with himself to actually notice, and it was all in her face.