Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

III

Most feared to enter the Edges.

Kate wasn't one of them. Even as the coldness of the Edges dug into her like millions of tiny icicles. Already affected, and she hadn't stepped foot beyond the boundary between light and gray. In the distance, she saw a white light, indicating an official checkpoint.

Those unafraid were only permitted to enter at official checkpoints with the proper paperwork. But Kate couldn't risk the scrutiny. Most simply sneaked into the Edges. It had—sadly—become easier since the Near Darkening had cast new shadows upon the city. Temporary fencing had been erected to protect the rest of the city from the new shadowy areas. But no one was willing to fund a stronger barrier, even as they complained about corruption escaping from the Edges.

Every Region had shadowy edges, bordering the Illuminated area. The city of Silver Paradise was so overcrowded that people chose or were forced to live in those unstable, shadowed sections of the city. They learned to live around the constant fear that the thick mass of Dark would expand, taking their homes and lives. The Edges had subsequently transformed into the ghetto of Silver Paradise. Because of their proximity to the Dark, inhabitants had to go through a cleansing and obtain a permit just to enter the main city.

Because of the danger and difficulty, most avoided the Edges. But many people had business in the Edges, usually unsavory business. People cut openings in fences or found openings that had been overlooked. Guards would look the other way—trying to prevent people from entering and exiting the Edges was almost impossible.

A wooden fence blocked Kate's path. She pushed a few loose boards away, gathered up her long skirts, and slipped through the fence. And—just like that—she was in the Edges.

The difference immediately struck Kate. Dark evening sky was darker, as though a black fog was obscuring the sky. As she made her way through the murky alley and onto an avenue, things became a bit more visible. Streetlights kept the area from being completely dark. Despite the faint glow, heavy fog lingered. Fortunately, she had practice navigating the darkness of the Edges.

But every noise or shifting shadow offering a promise of trouble. Lugging around a heavy bag extended the trip, making her vulnerable to any who meant harm. Passing one open door, she froze. A shape stood in the doorway, seeming to watch her.

She blinked, and the shape was gone.

"Katharine..."

A cold whisper, tickling her neck. She whirled around, only to find nothing. Fog concealed any presence, but there was no breathing or retreating footsteps. No heat from another human body.

Her pace sped up. The late hour and her weariness were probably affecting her. It was the logical explanation.

But she sighed with relief upon reaching her destination, an abandoned hotel, long since condemned to the Edges. Once one of the finest places to live, but now few willingly chose it. The hotel was far too close to the Dark.

Only the desperate and indifferent occupied it.

She entered the pitch-black abandoned lobby, climbed three floors, and went down the hall to the fifth door. She gave a special knock, signaling she could be trusted. A moment passed before the door opened. Dim light escaped the room, illuminating the disrepair of the hall. She tensed as someone poked his head out. But it was just Will.

She wrinkled her nose. "When was the last time you had a bath?"

The stench wasn't the worst part. Will's shirt and waistcoat collected a new assortment of stains and rips. His blond hair stuck out in different directions. Kate couldn't help brushing his hair back, and he leaned into her touch.