6

Morning broke and I watched the sunrise. The crisp autumn air bit the tip of my nose as I leaned on the rail of the balcony. I live in the perfect part of town. The air isn't smoggy, but I'm not at an inconvenience in distance from anything. It wasn't quite 6:30 in the morning. I had to be at the airport by 8:00.

The thought of flying fascinated me. I love a new perspective on things. Seeing the world from a different point of view.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Jack emerge from his bedroom and make his way to the kitchen. I figured it was about time to talk to him. I came inside.

"Woah!" He turned around and jumped when he saw me. "When did you get out of bed? I didn't even hear you."

"I've been up for hours. That doesn't matter." I told him.

Jack and I have never really been close. He didn't show up until I was a senior in high school and even after that. We've never really gotten along. I spent my whole life missing him, I wouldn't this time.

"Hey, Jack. Can I ask you something?" I tried to start a conversation.

"I guess." He said as he began to scramble some egg whites.

"Well actually I don't have a question," I flipped the hair out of my face and then shook my head a little to put it back in place. "I'm leaving for California here soon and I just wanted to let you know."

"What are you going to California in the middle of a semester for?" He glared over at me.

"Well, actually... I'm moving there."

"What the heck, man?"

"Yeah, here in about an hour I'm going to head over to the airport."

"Dude, what the-"

"So yeah. Now you know." I left the kitchen and sat down on the couch.

"Do you care to explain a little?" Jack transferred his eggs to a paper plate and came to join me on the couch.

I explained generally what I was doing, but I didn't get into too many details.

"Why? Don't you realize you could get a better job if you finished school?" He asked.

"Probably," I responded, "but regardless, this is exciting for me, don't ruin it."

"Whatever man. I think it's dumb."

"Of course you do." I scoffed "Eric doesn't think it's dumb, right Eric?" I questioned him as he jumped over the railing into the living room.

"Think what's dumb?" He asked

"Shawn, moving to California." Jack answered him.

"Oh, is he gonna bring all of us to meet Lady Gaga?"

"No." I shook my head.

"Then yeah, it's dumb." Eric replied.

"See, I told you, man. You're stupid." Jack told me.

"You know, I don't have time for this." I stood up and made my way to the door.

"Wait," Jack stood up and grabbed my shoulder before I left. "There's no stopping you, is there?"

"Nope."

"Well then give me a hug, man." He wrapped his arms around me. "It was nice knowing you."

"Oh come on, Jack." I hugged him back, "Don't be dramatic. It's not like you really know me anyway." I stepped back out of his hug and put my hands in my pockets.