iv. Mutant Level Pain

'She's the kind of girl that would love to be loved, The one that pick's herself up every time she falls down because nobody else cares enough to lend a hand' -

So there Carter was, she found herself doing what she always had in a bad situation, when she didn't think she could deal with something. 

She ran.

Ignoring the shouts and calls of her name behind her she continued to run until she got to the door she'd seen on the way from the cell to the medical bay.

Then she did something she hadn't done in a long time, she hesitated realising what she could potentially be leaving behind. A father?  An opportunity? A safe haven? No. Impossible.

Her training -- no matter how young she'd been when it took place -- had always taught her not to hesitate and to get out of a situation quickly.

She could still remember the last time she hesitated, looking back over her shoulder and watching the man who'd helped her escape her captors being beaten down to unconsciousness.

Finally throwing open the door with a loud clash, Carter winced at the noise and quickly scanned the area before sending one last fleeting look over her shoulder in time to see a few Agents of Shield and the Avengers running in her direction.

Every time her feet hit the floor Carter felt the vibrations of those behind her hammering against the titanium floor before she came to an abrupt stop at the edge of the Helicarrier and let herself feel the thumping of her heart against her rib cage, noting the ringing in her ears.

"Carter!" The now familiar voice of Tony Stark- or was she supposed to refer to him as Dad now?

No. Way to weird. She thought to herself with a grimace before turning on her heel, plastering a fake smile on her face and seeing that the group of heroes had gotten a lot closer to her than she was comfortable with.

"Need something? I was kinda going somewhere." She asked sarcastically as she watched them all closely, studying the faces that would soon enough be just another memory.

"I don't understand, i just told you I'm your father and you Ran?" Tony sighed in frustration not having a single idea why this girl who had seemingly nothing, would willingly run away from a chance to have everything.

"It's not you Stark, Its me, I'm not into the whole happy families, let's rely on one another crap. I'm a loner and I'm pretty sure that I wanna keep it that way -- Sorry -- maybe someone else out there will be the daughter your looking for because I'm sure as hell not her." Carter shrugged before turning and preparing to jump over the railing before being pulled back.

"I apologise for manhandling you mam but I have orders entailing that you don't get away this time and throwing yourself from the ship seems to me more like a suicide mission than an escape plan." A strong authoritative voice spoke, though there was a calmness and sincerity hidden among his tone.

Carter went stiff in the persons arms as her jaw clenched, not being one for physical contact since she had been with them. 

Her mind began to fog over remembering the experiments that were done on her and the conditions she was forced to live in for what she could remember of the first half of her life.

Her ears began to ring as she furiously thrashed in the persons arms, elbowing them in the gut and leaping from their arms as her breathing became rapid and she struggled to stand straight, muffled voices around her called out as her vision blurred over.

This hadn't happend in years, she should have ran when she could have, this wouldn't be happening otherwise and she could be on her way home by now.

It was taking everything in her -- every fibre in her body -- not to let it out. Carter Scolded herself repeatedly as she tried to keep it at bay. 

She kept trying even though she knew it was too late, she could feel the bones in her back breaking as she let out a muffled scream of agony.

The Avengers stopped and stared at the young girl in shock as blood began to pool at her feet, the dark crimson liquid was running down her back and trailing from her legs as she ripped the leather jacket from her shoulders.

She couldn't control it any longer as she let out another scream of pain, this time unable to keep the volume down as the intensity increased.

Falling to her knees as the bones in her back protruded from just beneath her shoulder blades Carter took note that it did nothing to help the gory scene of a fifteen year old girl being torn apart by her own body.

The bone continued to escape her back and grow, the horrified Avengers watched on helplessly as the blood flow trickled down her back onto the solid ground and the scene as it was became ten times more harsh as the crimson fluid marked her hands and knees leaving behind a temporary pink tint to her already marred skin. 

That was when the Group of heroes noticed something about the bones coming from her back, they were covered in a black material it some kind it wasn't  until there was a closer inspection that they realised what it was. Feathers. 

These bones protruding from her shoulder blade weren't just abnormalities, or some sort of defensive mechanism, they were wings. That was when the Avengers finally took in the young girl in front of them. 

Each feeling remorse towards the young girl tortured by her own body.

They were willing to help her no matter what. If she would only give them a chance like her heart was telling her to do.