Chapter 14 | Part 1 - Tiberius

Friday night came quickly and if it hadn't been for Tiberius' keen senses, Crystal would have had multiple seizures brought on by her increased anxiety to go to the Underground Market.

Tiberius noted Rhonda's desire to protect her daughter, but after speaking with her Wednesday night, while Crystal was tending to the dogs, they agreed that Crystal needed to step up her own game and not let others make decisions for her and encourage her to take more responsibility and risks for herself. She needed to grow on her own, with gentle encouragement and guidance when needed, and not shielded as much.

A mother's love knows no bounds and seeing her pup struggle and not develop normally only heightened her urge to protect her—even if she knew it was detrimental to her own self-esteem. Tiberius understood, but they both knew that it couldn't continue.

Only in secret did Rhonda question whether or not Crystal should go to the Underground Market while asserting to Crystal that it was imperative that she go.

"Do it, not only for your mate but for yourself as well, Cris," her mother had told her.

Crystal would only nod with her head down, though fear saturated every pore of her body.

The only way she'd be able to sleep was curled up with him on the floor, her wolf constantly straining against her flesh and Tiberius' heartbeat was the only thing to soothe the beast within.

He could have called off the excursion, knowing that it would be a waste of time, but Rhonda agreed in a brief conversation Thursday evening that it would be good for Crystal.

During his chat with Rhonda Wednesday evening, he also told her that he knew the cure for his curse and how he thought his curse was linked to Crystal's inability to shift. He confided in how he wanted to try and tell Crystal the cure in their dreams, but he was afraid it would do more harm than good. He didn't want her to feel forced into caring for him and then hating herself for not returning the same feelings that he had for her.

"You're right, Tiberius," her mother agreed. "Love cannot be forced. Her feelings need to develop on their own. Don't tell her."

She would come around eventually. They just hoped it would be sooner rather than later.

He met with Crystal again in their dreams Thursday night and Tiberius again wanted to hold her from behind as he told her about his life before the curse. How his family left Europe after his sister, Marina, matured in 1825 and settled in Arizona and he was born ten years later. How his younger brother, Laurencius, recently found his mate and their parents were forcing him to become the next alpha despite the fact that their older brother, Dominius, had been preparing for centuries to take over the pack once he found his mate.

"He hasn't found her though, and no one knows if he will, but Lance's mate is strong and will make a good Luna once he completes his training. I'm sure of it," he had said and then shifted gears and told her about his travels in the last year, not wanting to dwell on the topic of his family any longer. The lingering feelings of betrayal were still too strong, and he didn't want to bring her down with his problems yet.

He wanted her to get to know him and to feel more comfortable around him. Even if they couldn't physically feel each other in the dreams, he used this time to tell her about himself and his life.

Friday was riddled with anxiety for Crystal and it ate away at everyone around her too. They all tried not to show it, but they felt it and were thankful that she didn't share their heightened senses as well.

She didn't go to work at the library on Friday and instead stayed locked in her room, watching movies with Tiberius and listening to music while sketching in her book. Sometimes, she would sketch while watching a movie, anything to keep herself occupied while staying close to him.