"You didn't think you'd invite me if you were out having fun?" I ask him.

He looks at me oddly. "You're supposed to be grounded."

I remembered. Things were still a bit blurry. Anything related to my family seemed alien now.

I smile slightly. "Right."

"Hey, long time no see." A dark skinned kid said and I looked up. It was Xevi, a very kind sophomore. I greeted back, but somehow, it felt plastic. I was genuinely glad to see him, but I couldn't bring myself to express it.

"Yeah, how's it going?" I reply.

Xevi shrugs. "So and so, how's Jay doing?"

"He's good as far as I know."

Drake, sitting on the chair by Xevi, was staring at me. My stomach dropped by the way those grey blue eyes looked concerned.

I stare back, smiling. "Drake."

His familiar grin spreads, but the eyes held back a bit of the smugness. "Avery."

Chatter came back and I ate my burgers. I was content, but restless. I felt my skin prickle ever so often, and when I looked up Drake was already staring.

I shook the shudders away and, when Drake busied himself with a discussion, I leaned towards Nove.

"I thought you and Brandon despised Drake."

Nove snorts and puff his chest up. "I never said that."

"You told me you didn't like him. Something he had done in the past."

Nove stiffens. "Yeah, just something minor. But he's good, otherwise I wouldn't be here, would I? Don't worry."

My chest plummets until the sky by the words made taboo under the last hour.

Minor?

Don't worry?

After that I became wary of both Brandon and Nove, looking at the two as if they were the villains plotting something grand. And I'd sneak a look at Drake too.

Did he know what they knew about him?

Was he aware of their distaste towards him?

Did he care?

"Well, I gotta go." Xevi stands up and says goodbye. "Say hi to Jay for me."

I nod, smiling as I wave.

"Hey," Drake nudges me. "Join me outside for a minute."

Dazed by the sternness lining his face I stand. Nove looks at me and for a second there was the moment of irritation crossing his face. I frown, but then he looked like his goofy self and I questioned my sight for being bad and my mind poor judged.

I follow Drake outside and we settle us under the shelter of a big oak tree. Its branches hovered over our heads, the slight wind bending them. I curled my toes, missing the warmth inside the family restaurant.

I hesitate looking at him, wary of his gaze.

"I thought you'd stay away from him." There was damp coming out of his mouth and I wondered if it really was so cold.

I breathed slower.

"You said-"

"I find it ridiculous." I cut in, my eyes still looking down in cowardice. "To hate. I figured I'd be as I want others to be to me. And we're partners in this presentation. I want a good grade. So I dropped hating." For the faintest second I looked up. "That's all."