Chapter 24

"Aria?" Róisín said, mirroring my own disbelief. "You're not in Eden. How did you get here?"

I stared at her slack jawed. "I- you- you're dead," I stammered.

"Clearly I'm not," she replied with a wave of her hand.

"But- how?"

"It's not much of a story. They threw me out to die, but I didn't. What about you? How did you get here," she plowed on before I could ask any more questions.

"It's- a long story." I was in too much shock to form coherent thoughts.

"I have no doubt. And what of your very beautiful friend here. She's not dead, is she?"

"No, she's just- I'm sorry. I just can't believe you're alive."

"Maybe you should rest and we can save the earth shattering reunion for the morning. There's a restroom across the hall if you want to clean up. Make yourself at home and help yourself to whatever you need. Here, let me help you." She grabbed Nima under her arms and hoisted her onto one of the cots. I grabbed Nima's legs and hoisted them onto the bed. I stared after Róisín, my mouth still hanging open as she retreated from the room and back up the stairs.

I took a quick shower to wash the soup of blood, tears, rain, and mud from my body. My thoughts wanted to race, but I had no energy left to entertain them. I rifled through the bathroom cabinets until I found a pile of washcloths. I soaked them in warm water and carried them back to the bedroom. Nima was still unconscious on the cot, but I could see her chest rising and falling. It was a small comfort.

I cleaned her up as best I could with the inadequate rags, removing her clothing and wiping the filth from her cold skin. It was not the sensual moment it should have been. It was only sheer exhaustion that kept me from weeping over her battered body. I found clean dry clothes stowed away in the room. They were exactly like the scrubs we had worn at Eden, but it was better than leaving her in her filthy, tattered, wet clothing.

By the time I had finished cleaning us both up, I could no longer keep myself awake. I squeezed onto the cot next to Nima, and I was asleep before my head hit the pillow.

The next thing I was aware of was panicked breathing next to me. My eyes snapped open and I bolted upright. Pain shot through my spine, and the memories of where I was and what had happened flooded my mind.

Nima lay next to me, her eyes wide open, breathing heavily. She looked frozen with fear. I leaned over her and smoothed her wild hair.

"It's okay. I'm here. We're safe," I said softly.

"Aria? Where are we?" Her voice was barely a rasp.

"We made it to Cashel. We're in the Eden facility. I'm can't tell you how relieved I am to see you awake. Last night was too close."

"It shows." She made a weak attempt at a smile and brushed at a gash above my eyebrow.

"It's good to see the crash didn't damage your ability to flatter." I started to roll my eyes at her, but stopped when it caused stabbing pain in my head.

We lay like that, bathing in one another's broken smiles until footsteps sounded somewhere beyond the door and I remembered the stunning revelations of the previous night. I wasn't sure if it had all been a dream until Róisín stepped into the doorway.

"Oh good. You're still alive. I'll make breakfast," Róisín said before disappearing again.

"Who is that," Nima asked, her eyes growing wide with concern. She choked on her words as she tried to force them through her dry throat. I ran to the bathroom to get her some water, and had to help her sit up to drink it once I returned.