2: How to save a life

Song Rec: Suga- First Love
•••
It's weird how things change after that.

Before, Dr. Kim would barely talk to her. They could be standing at the nurses' station and they would never talk to each other unless they shared a mutual case.
Now, Jisoo finds that Dr. Kim talks to her nearly every time they see each other.

She'll ask her what she's working on if they see each other at the nurses' station. She'll ask her if she needs help if they run into each other at the ER. She offers to hold her spot in the cafeteria line when Jisoo forgets to get something.

"Where are you from?" Dr. Kim asks her one night, when they're both on night shifts and the doctor's lounge on the fourth floor is not-so surprisingly empty.

Jisoo looks up from her charts and narrows her eyes in confusion that Dr. Kim is even talking to her.
Usually, when they both find themselves stuck in here at 3am, they don't say a word. She also finds it weird that, after eighteen months of working in the same hospital, Dr. Kim only wants to know about her now.

"Seoul," she says after a weird, too-long pause. "Born and raised."

Dr. Kim nods. "Is that what brings you to the Seoul Clinic?"

Jisoo smiles at how she hunches over her own charts like an awkward, surly teenager. "I met the Chief of Surgery in Busan and he offered me a job."

"You worked in Busan?" Jennie asks and there's a brightness and excitement to her eyes.

Jisoo shakes her head. "It was some conference thing. I've mostly worked in Daegu."

"Where'd you study?"

Jisoo shrugs and rolls her eyes. "I started off at MIT as a Physics major. Switched to Bio and Chem when I got bored. Harvard for medical school. Internship and residency at Mass Gen. I went to Brigham and Women's after that for a while and then I came here."

Dr. Kim looks at her in complete shock or awe or something.

Jisoo blushes and rolls her eyes self-consciously as she looks back down at the papers in front of her.

"Wow," Jennie says, clearing her throat. "I never knew that. That's... that's really impressive."

Jisoo shrugs. "I don't really tell many people." There's another one of those strange pauses where they both attempt to not stare at each other.

"You went to Hopkins though, right?" Jennie nods. "That's cool."

They're saved from any more weird moments a few seconds later when Jisoo's pager goes off. She rolls her eyes and smiles and feels Dr. Kim watching her the whole way out of the room.

•••

She kind of thinks they're friends.

They always seem to be the only two people using the fourth floor doctor's lounge in the middle of the night and their hours of silent waiting have turned into constant questioning and conversation.
She didn't think anything of it until she called her "Dr. Kim" one night and the woman threw a chip at her, scoffing before telling her to call her Jennie, claiming it was too weird calling each other "Dr. Kim."

After almost two years of calling her Dr. Kim, it's kind of weird but she likes it. She likes it because everyone else still calls her Dr. Kim.

They share middle of the night "lunches" and end up watching reruns of K-dramas that Jennie barely pays attention too while Jisoo does.

They're friends but nobody knows they're friends.

She has to listen to nurses and other doctors whisper about how much of a "slutty bitch" Jennie is but she doesn't know if she can say anything. She doesn't know how Jennie would feel about it.