14

FOURTEEN

Let me tell you something. Just a quick pause in events for a moment, if you please.

            I know that what Blake and I have isn’t going to last. I mean, I’m a spy. It’s destined to never be a happy ending.

            Same with Josh. He’s normal, I’m not. At some point, I am going to find my parents, be the hero, and get sent back home, with Josh and Blake experiencing the Memory Wipe.

            In the end, I will be alone. Just me and my gut.

            So, with that said, its time to click Play.

            “Maegan? Hello? Anyone there?”

Stevie waved her hand in front of my face, breaking me from my daze.

            “Oh, sorry, you were saying?”

She sighed, obviously annoyed with me, and continues. “You guys are sooo going to be a couple! Before you know it, he is ganna change his facebook status to ‘single’ to ‘in a relationship’”

            I shrugged at this. She has been raving on and on after I told her about Blake’s surprise.

            “I mean, I can see it now…” she looks off into the distance, like she is seeing the future. Then she gestures to me. “Okay, I will admit it, you are pretty, and nice, and that is probably why he likes you.”

            Shocked about her comment, I responded “Wow, thanks.”

            She waved her hand at me. The bell rang, and we walked out of the classroom.

            “Seriously though, it’s going to happen.” She said to me, and then strode away.

            I was just about to head to my classroom when Josh stopped me.

            “Mae, I need to talk to you.”

            I raised an eyebrow at him. “Okay… glad of you to speak to me again.” I said quietly.

            He frowned at me. “Look, I’m sorry that I have been avoiding you, you see-”

            “Hey!”

            I spun around, and saw Blake storm over to us. “What are you doing?” he asked firmly, practically spitting the words at Josh.

            “Talking to Mae here.” He spoke firmly back.

            “Well your done talking now, you’re going to make her late for class.”

            “Since when are you the boss of who she talks too, jerk?” Josh’s voice was rising steadily, and people started to turn their heads toward us.

            “Guys, stop.” I pleaded.

            “I’m the jerk?” Blake continues, ignoring my comment. “You’re the one who has been treating her badly. Some friend you are.”

            I heard the smack before I could see it.

            Josh hurled himself at Blake, punching him in the face and attacking him with all his strength. My eyes widened at the sudden attack, and I backed away, not sure what to do. Blake pushed Josh away and then kicked him in the gut. Josh crumpled to the floor, but then quickly got back up, and aimed at Blake again.

            Oh my god! People are staring now! This cant be happening!

            People rushed over and cheered at the fighters, encouraging them on. I couldn’t believe my eyes. Mastering all my courage, I got in between them and pushed them apart. They tried to get back at each other, so I did a quick jab to both of their stomachs. They pulled back suddenly, trying to recover from my force.

            “Enough!” I yelled.

            Josh and Blake stared at each other, panting. Blake’s mouth was bleeding, while Josh had a bloody nose and a black eye. I looked at them both, appalled that they fought, because of me. I saw Stevie at the edge of the crowed, awestruck of what she just saw. I headed over to her, who dependably took my arm, and we strode away to our next class, leaving the boys and the crowd staring.