4

FOUR

Its 10 am, on a Friday morning, flying to California. How exciting.

Nenny and I are in first class, sitting there doing nothing. Nenny is fast asleep beside me; so I decided to open my high school welcoming letter too get a look at what I’m going to have to live with.

                        Welcome Student!

                  We are very excited to have you here at Samohi!

Please go to page 7 to learn about the classes you can take. Here are sets of rules you must follow at all times:

            And so on… I turned the page and looked at the map. It’s a pretty big school. Five houses. I whistled under my breath. As I was reading about the school rules and policies, a flight attendant came up to us and asked. “Would you like anything to drink?”

            “Uhmmm… Sprite with cranberry juice please.” I answered.

            She rummaged through some things in her cart and pulled out a can of Sprite and Cranberry juice. She pored some ice into a cup and handed the items to me.

            “There you go miss.” She said.

            “Thank you.”

            I pored the sprite and cranberry juice in my drink and took a sip. Flavor bursts into my parched mouth and awakened my senses. The sweet, refreshing, bubbly mixture makes me sigh and calm down. I know I will be in California soon, but I still manage to close my eyes and take a nap.

            “Welcome to your new home,” Nenny said.

            The small house that we rented smells brand new, and it has five small rooms: kitchen, living room, bathroom, Master bedroom (Nenny’s room), and a guest room (my room). Nenny puts our luggage in our rooms while I take a glass out of the cupboard and got a drink.

            “ Now,” Nenny says, “I want you to unpack your things while I go get some groceries.”

            “Okay.” I reply as she walks out the door.

            I went into my room and started putting my clothes in my closet. When I was putting my last pair of jeans away, I heard a knock at my door. Nenny was quick. I thought.

            I walked to my door and thrust it open. It was not Nenny, but was a man and a woman. I prepared myself for action when the lady said, “Hello! Welcome! I’m Suzan and this is my husband Marcus.” 

            “Hello,” I said cautiously.

            “ We brought brownies to welcome you, my son is bringing them over.” She said. She looked behind her and smiled. “Here he comes now! Hurry up hunny!”

            A boy came running up to us and gave his mother a look. Then handed me a tray, “Uhm… here,” he says, then puts on a smile, “Welcome.”

            I took the tray from him, “Thanks.”

            He had short, brown hair with bright blue eyes. He was probably about 5’11, and he wore jeans and a white T-shirt. We stared at each other for a moment. I looked away and spoke to his parents, “Thank you for welcoming me, I appreciate it.”

            “Oh no problem! If you need any help we are right next door.” Suzan said to me excitingly. “Have a nice day!”

            “You too.” I replied.