10~Breaking Ice with Fire

Comenzar desde el principio

I felt someone approaching me from behind. It was probably Ace. I wiped the smirk off my face and asked, "Did you treat his head?"

"I did, captain. He also ate. He was very hungry, which means he's recovering," Ace replied.

"Good," I said curtly.

Ace stood there, waiting for further instructions for a moment before turning to leave. But before he could go, I asked, "Riddle me this, Ace. How could Nyx know about our current destination?"

I received no response. "Who the hell could have told him that we're heading to guarded shores?"

"He knows?" Ace asked, surprised.

"He told me himself," I said, "With my grip on his neck, he said 'We'll be soon arriving at guarded shores, and I was going to get Regina and speed ahead of you'. He was quite certain as well. A bit too lucky for a guess, don't you think?"

"I don't think anyone could've-"

"Until yesterday, I thought he spoke to no one but you, Ace," I interrupted.

"I didn't say anything. You know I wouldn't speak to outsiders unless given permission," Ace replied.

"Well, clearly someone did. Either you or one of those hooligans behind us," I said, my voice growing more and more frustrated.

Ace gave no response or complaint.

"You're supposed to make sure my orders are applied to the letter," I said.

"I'm certain he spoke to no one, Agenor," Ace said.

I cut him off, "What about the other prisoners? Do they know?"

"Everyone is following the orders with the captured crew. Only water and bread, no talking. As you commanded, they now think you let the nobleman free and he escaped with his ship. I don't think they heard anything during last night's accident either. It's hard to hear from inside the cell down there," he replied.

"I hope you're right, Ace. It would be interesting to cut some tongues around here, though. Try to find out if the prisoners know anything more than what we told them. And keep a closer eye on our mates," I said.

"Aye, captain," Ace said before leaving.

∞∞∞

The day passed smoothly, with everyone occupied with their tasks. Martina, in particular, looked cleaner than she had in a while. As night approached, the crew had dinner and started drinking. I noticed Baril bringing my dinner to my cabin. The winds were picking up, and I looked to Maren, who I trusted to keep watch tonight as we approached busier waters. A particularly strong gust hit the deck, and without a word, Maren quickly tied himself to the mast, showing his intelligence and quick thinking. I gave him a small nod, and he grinned like a fool. Such a child.

I headed to my cabin and opened the door to find Nyx standing by the window, staring intently at something in his hand. He tensed when he saw me and quickly turned to avoid my gaze. Curious, I glanced at his hand to see it was his silver necklace. I hadn't had a chance to examine it properly yesterday. He continued to stare out the window, although there was nothing to see but the dark sea and sky. Even his own ship was sailing beside us, and I doubted he could see it from the window.

I closed the door and walked over to my dinner, which was set on the table. I took off my boots and tossed my leather jacket onto one of the boxes. I pulled up a chair and sat down to eat.

"If you don't eat, the cook might feel offended," I teased. He didn't respond, instead glancing down at the plate by his feet before sitting with his back against the wall and picking it up. I couldn't help but smirk at his obedience.