8~Unfair punishment

∞ Agenor's POV ∞

'Lords of the seven seas,' I thought in disbelief, 'I can't believe what he just did! How dare he act so recklessly! I never pegged him for a daredevil.' I breathed a sigh of relief, 'Thank heavens Maren got to him in time.'

Maren possessed a rare precision when it came to swinging on ropes. Despite his young age of 14, his accuracy rivaled that of an agile monkey, earning him the nickname 'sea monkey', which he wasn't fond of. As the ship's lookout, he was constantly stationed in the crow's nest, keeping watch over the sea. When he noticed me discreetly observing Nyx, he followed suit. As soon as I ordered Nyx to step back on deck, Maren instantly seized a rope, knowing exactly what was expected of him without any further instruction from me. He was always eager to impress his captain.

I was dumbstruck by the nobleman's actions and words. I made my way down to the forecastle to check on Nyx, who was struggling to regain his composure. The edge of the ship was smeared with red, and Nyx's hand was also stained with blood. It was clear that the fall had been severe and his head was injured.

'I'm freeing my Regina', he had declared. His words echoed in my mind as I marched towards him, unfastening an iron chain as I went. 'What are you going to do about it?' he had challenged.

As my anger boiled over, Maren wisely stepped back and climbed the nearest shroud. Others appeared here and there, but none dared to approach me; only Ace dared. He attempted to calm me down, but I coldly pushed him away.

I was in no mood to listen to complaints or pleas, and they all knew it. "Devils of hell," I muttered to myself, "I'm going to kill him for defying me!"

As I reached Nyx, he was still trying to regain his footing. He attempted to cover his bleeding head, but no words escaped his audacious lips, only groans as I grabbed him by the waist and hoisted him over my shoulder. Before he could comprehend what was happening or even utter a protest, I stormed into my cabin and slammed the door shut.

I tossed him onto the bed and flung the chain to the ground. He groaned in pain but remained silent.

His actions and words had already spoken volumes, enough for a lifetime.

I rummaged through my treasure boxes, searching for valuable objects obtained from past conquests. Amongst the glittering array of jewels, clothes, and antique weapons, I finally found what I was looking for. Holding the items firmly in my grip, I made my way back to Nyx.

As he struggled to sit up, he recoiled upon seeing me approach. He lifted his bloodied hand defensively, but I made no move to touch him. Instead, I seized the chain lying on the ground and fastened it around one of the bed's headboard bars, securing it with a lock from my pocket. Nyx, now cradling his head in his hands, watched my actions with a mixture of fear and anxiety.