Chapter 5

"I have also come here to kill you, Gilbert Beilschmidt."

Gilbert stopped in his tracks, terrified for dear life. He never imagined that hunters still existed, never mind that his true love was the son of one! He should have been more careful, he should have known that this would happen...
The albino put his head down in disbelief. "A-are you one of them, too?" He asked quietly. To the German's surprise, Matthew did something he thought would be impossible.

He shouted.

"No! I'll never be like them! I..." He trailed off. His eyes went into a state of shock. "W-wait... d-does this m-mean...?" He stuttered, only just noticing the obvious. "I-if Papa's here to k-kill you... y-you're a v-vampire?" Gilbert nodded his head in reply, head still down, but this time in fear of what would happen. Matthew's expression then went quickly from shock to nothing. It was like his emotions vanished, leaving just his blank expression.
"It's like I've disappeared..." Francis said to himself, faking sadness. He slowly walked towards the newly revealed vampire, "Well... are we going to continue this now?" Gilbert nodded once again, preparing himself for his inevitable demise. Nonchalantly, Francis walked toward the male, readying his old, wooden stake. It looked like the end...

"Stop!" Matthew shouted, just as the Frenchman reached out to stab the vampire in the heart, and ran in between the two. That was a big mistake. The stake that was meant to pierce through Gilbert's heart was now lodged in Matthew's chest, blood flooding out profusely. He coughed the crimson liquid as he struggled to stand. "E-even if you are a v-vampire, I... s-still love... y-you..." He struggled out, before collapsing onto the freezing cold bedroom floor.
Gilbert was shocked to see this, but Francis looked furious. "A son who sacrifices himself or a vampire... is... no son of mine." He stated, jumping out of the window into a nearby tree, leaving Matthew on the floor dying. Gilbert didn't know what to do. His true love was lying there, bleeding through the raven carpet, close to death. Then he remembered what he was going to do in the first place... Now would be the right time for it.