Offstage || Chapter 3

Author's Note: Jeffery is on the far-right in that uploaded picture. Readers – what do YOU think is going on with him and Charlene? Any thoughts on Michael now? Sound off and enjoy!

===

1986 – "Bad" Short Film Shoot (New York)

MICHAEL

Where did they go? I thought to myself.

Frank and I almost rushed down the hallway. Bill even led quite a few bodyguards. Heads turned. I didn't even care if Martin intervened. We headed out to a vacant outdoor terminal and I shivered in this buckled get-up. Feet away, I noticed Jeffery and Charlene chatting near a vacant ticket booth. No kissing, at least not yet. Before I could lock my confused glare with these two, Jeffery and Charlene walked side by side. I folded both arms once more and tapped my foot impatiently.

One finger snap from me signaled to the bodyguards and Bill to walk off. Frank and I would meet those men back on set in a little while. Lunch didn't exactly finish, either. My eyes narrowed when Jeffery draped his arm over Charlene's shoulder. These two still walked toward us in the meantime. Jeffery even whispered in her ear before walking to me as if nothing happened. All the while, Charlene nearly blushed.

Once again, I didn't know what to think. My eyes squinted toward this longtime collaborator, but Jeffery wouldn't budge. On the other hand, Charlene almost ducked away and entered the set with a friendly grin. Martin Scorsese and Bill shook their heads. I shrugged, still puzzled. Lunch still wouldn't finish, but Jeffery and Charlene continued sitting together. I honestly felt as if he sat next to the most beautiful girl in high school or something. The Prom Queen winner of sorts.

Mentally, my own ego shrunk. Jeffery, Charlene, and I existed as living clichés in this moment. Even I ironically assumed the role of that awkward nerd who didn't catch any game with the ladies, no matter how hard he tried. Respectfully, I kicked back until Frank cleared his throat. That unlit cigar still rested between his meaty fingers. Everyone around us, including hopeful actor Wesley Snipes, grinned around the area.

"Mike, stop staring. Just tell me what's going on." Frank shook his head for the millionth time while speaking. I absentmindedly faced Charlene and Jeffery. Honestly, jealousy reached my heart. I still couldn't understand why. The crush from years ago had faded. I just wanted to see Charlene again given the talent and expertise I'd clearly missed.

"What is going on with them? Don't they know it's unprofessional to just walk off like that and..." I glanced from side to side before answering. For all I knew, Jeffery could've noticed my glares as well. Frank had obviously recognized my apprehension now, but I wouldn't refuse his offer. Across the room, Bill patrolled with other bodyguards as expected. I still wouldn't touch my plate.

"Hold on. Stop being nosy, Michael. You don't know what happened. It could've been completely innocent, Champ. They've both worked on Soul Train, remember? She could be a huge fan of his." Out of nowhere Frank interrupted my words. I understood his reasoning, but still didn't feel right.

"No. Jeffery was flirting. Did you not see it? They've been sitting together all this time. I don't..." I shook my head before long and even began to sit up from the table. Frank held my clothed wrist. We pierced eyes toward one another, but I refused to back down. Frank threw down his damp cigar and followed me without hesitation. His words even signaled for Bill and the other security to hold back interference. My march toward Charlene stomped against the hard pavement, never wavering.

"Mike, stop!" Frank shouted behind me. I did not give a damn. Something encouraged me to confront those two and steps never halted before reaching the table. Even when I reached Jeffery and this amazing woman, I glared with near anger. Jeffery almost gaped. Charlene narrowed her eyes.

"What's wrong?" Jeffery stood up from the table now.

"If there isn't a straight answer Jeffery, consider yourself fired. I'm sorry." I improved my posture while glancing between him and Charlene. She turned to face me and crossed both arms, watching. Silence finally crept into the area. A pin could've easily dropped, but I still wouldn't hear it. Jealously washed over my entire face once more. Even Martin Scorsese and his full camera crew hushed.

"What the question?" Jeffery titled his head, just as I did earlier. Another bout of silence fell here. I couldn't even hear someone cough right now. Tension currently suffocated everyone. I completely understood in one way or another. Yet, the anger I felt wouldn't subside right now.

"I have many questions. Why did you and Charlene walk off? What were you talking about that was so important that you two needed to leave? What's there to hide?" My face had turned red. I could've cared less about rage for the millionth time.

"None of your business. Don't you know what privacy is anymore? Take out the fact that you're a superstar right now. I can't have conversations with women? How desperate are you for a date? Wait, hold up, not even that. When was the last time you slept with someone, groupie or not?" Jeffery gained the nerve to stand his ground. I scrunched up my face, furious and disgusted.

Before I could even blink, Charlene picked up her winter coat and stomped away. I didn't know what to think, but my heart suddenly dropped. Voices in bewilderment all around me. Behind me, Frank scowled. Bill and his security gathered to help me leave.

Damn.