Offstage || Chapter 16

1987California

PRINCE

I almost felt obligated to encourage Charlene. After all, this woman uprooted her entire "Soul Train" career just to musically hustle in Europe. I'd found my right-hand woman in one way or another. We'd even nicknamed her "Boss." I'd laugh every time Charlene entered rehearsals. This woman sometimes mimicked my own arrogance as a joke. Sunglasses and all.

Too often, well-known artists like myself nearly deserted those who worked behind the scenes. If it wasn't for people like Charlene or even my band, I'd never offer such wonderful gigs. Believe it or not, even though I could play multiple instruments and arranged concerts many times over, I couldn't do everything alone.

Directors and photographers placed her into my work time and time again. I even convinced MTV to give some sort of limelight as well. When the tour finally ended in Belgium, I revealed her to that excited audience once more. Our hardworking employee rocked white just like the rest of us. This time, her body shaped into another custom-made jumpsuit.

Charlene then bowed while positioned between Cat and Shelia. Rhythms of "Beautiful Night" pulsed from the band. I'd even crept from behind and topped her curly hair with my own "police cap" When she turned around, I opened my arms and she fell into a hug. The crowd screamed when I rocked during that same embrace. After pulling away, I wiped tears away from her now dripping mascara. She'd return to a status-quo, but I wanted so much more for that brilliant woman.

I then glanced over my shoulder. In my view, Cat, Shelia and Charlene bunched together while jumping to the music. The audience just continued screaming without hesitation. I soon yanked that microphone off its stand before bidding farewell to our delightful crowd.

Even when everyone else rushed off the stage, I removed my jean jacket and draped the garment right onto Charlene. She gladly slipped on the jacket, winking over her shoulder at this massive crowd. With my hand placed on the small of her back, we both departed the otherwise energetic stage.

After this final concert, members of my horn section followed us down a narrowed hallway. Shelia even played beats with her drumsticks to celebrate. Near dead-end of this corridor, Charlene and I exchanged one more hug. We'd all leave for the hotel in just minutes.

Still, I just couldn't stand losing a participant of our gifted cluster. I hadn't felt this gloomy since ending my band "The Revolution." Charlene would open the void found in my imagination again. Cat and Shelia and mingled near us, but I wouldn't listen to the conversation.

"Come back someday." I smiled bashfully. Charlene nodded toward me before hopping into a van with Shelia and Cat. I would return to the hotel in a limousine, of course.

__

We agreed to meet up for dinner after Charlene finished taping another "Soul Train" episode

We agreed to meet up for dinner after Charlene finished taping another "Soul Train" episode. Based on a phone call between us this morning, Don Cornelius and the dancers welcomed her back with open arms. I could only smile with joy for the moment.

Outside, paparazzi grilled us with millions of questions. Charlene never held back the smile on her face. Meanwhile, I gazed at her with a shy grin. When we locked eyes again, she blushed. Shutterbugs quickly noticed and chuckled with us. I understood why in one way or another.

Inside the restaurant, bodyguards watched every corner for the sake of our privacy. Charlene picked wine to accompany her meal. I ordered water, never deciding to consume alcohol. For personal reasons, I usually steered away from drugs and the like on my own. Yet, no matter what I suggested, other people couldn't exactly follow my lead. I wasn't even in charge of their bodies nonetheless.

"So, what's it like being back here again? We already miss you, Mama." I reached over to drink from my glass. Charlene cut into a steak, but wouldn't eat just yet. Across the table, she gazed at me once more with those brown eyes.

"I do miss the stage." Charlene admitted. I nodded, understanding. "I mean, I've got a choreography job like before, but I'll really miss traveling with your great band." At her last words, that woman winked this time. I rolled my eyes, but smiled.

Just when I planned to respond, my lips wouldn't move. Someone, threw me off. From the corner of my eye, Michael sat not too far away from us. I could've easily dropped my jaw, but refused. I cleared my throat instead. Charlene narrowed both eyes, but I gestured for this woman to turn around. Within seconds, she looked over her shoulder. When Char glanced back, her dark complexion somehow paled.

Lord, please don't make Michael Jackson come over here. I thought to myself.

Charlene frowned with genuine anger

Charlene frowned with genuine anger. I panicked within for the both of us. Michael had boldly walked around his lone table and narrowed both eyes. I pushed up my glasses and reached for another drink of water. Reasonable considering my sudden worries. I could only pray Michael wouldn't lash out publicly. Too much at stake for him given the tabloid rumors.

"Hey, Charlene." Michael faked the biggest grin at this point. I wanted to gag. This man acted as if I never even sat across from his little crush. Frustration coursed through my entire body. Out of respect, Charlene stood from her place at the table and hugged Michael. I remained pleasant.

Fed up with Michael ignoring me, I stood up this time and reached out to shake his hand. Michael noticed the gesture and shook out of his own dreamland or something. I pushed my glasses once more while waiting. Our palms had finally met before long. I right back sat down after stepping away from him.

"I guess you two are official now, huh? How was the tour, Prince? You clearly had fun with Charlene, right? I've seen the promotion and shit." Michael bitterly remarked. Yet, his voice remained low enough to avoid causing public stirs. Jackson folded his arms. I rolled my eyes. The arrogance found within this man returned. People in the business, including Charlene, had warned me time and time again. Now, I encountered that same arrogance first-hand.

Charlene wouldn't even protest. Neither of us moved from the table.