Chapter 5 - My Nightmares

Chapter 5 – My Nightmares

I didn’t sleep very well at all. In the middle of night I woke harshly, sitting bolt upright in my sleeping bag. My skin felt all clammy and my hair was plastered to my forehead. I looked around the room and saw to my relief that the others were still sleeping. I wriggled out of the sleeping bag before tiptoeing into Madison’s en-suite to freshen up a little. I splashed my face with cool water, and ran my fingers through my hair. I sighed. This wasn’t the first time this had happened but I was just glad that I couldn’t remember what the nightmare had been. I only hoped that I hadn’t said anything or at least they hadn’t heard anything… There was no use stressing about it. I would just have to wait until morning.

I just about managed to get back to sleep and when I woke in the morning the others had already gone downstairs. I looked at myself in the bathroom mirror before I went to join them. I looked pretty rough, there were dark rings under my eyes. I could just say I hadn’t slept very well if they asked.

“Morning,” I smiled, walking into the kitchen where the girls were sitting around chatting. As soon as they heard me they fell silent. “Did I say something wrong?” I said, trying not to let my concern show on my face.

“No.” Maia said, a little too fast, “Are you ok?” She looked at me questioningly.

“Yeah.” I said, as nonchalantly as I could. “Why?”

“No reason.” She said, taking a large bite of the toast in front of her.

“Do you want some toast?” Kara asked, going to put some bread in the toaster. I nodded and she put in a couple of slices. I was beginning to realise that I must have said something awful last night and they must have heard it. You could have cut the tension with a knife. I would have to face this head on. I took a seat at the table opposite Madison and folded my arms.

“Alright then.” I said flatly. “What did I say?”

“What are you talking about?” Madison said evasively, looking everywhere but at me. “You didn’t say anything.”

“Are you sure?” I frowned at her.

“Yes.”

“Are you sure, you’re sure?”

“Yes.”

“Oh man up Madison.” Kara said hopping onto the table. I knew she would be the one tell me what happened. Kara was certainly not someone to beat around the bush about anything. “Early this morning you started crying. We thought you were awake but we soon realised you weren’t. Then you started talking, kind of pleading actually.” That sounded very familiar. I just hoped I hadn’t revealed too much but I doubted that would be the case. “Then you woke up and we all pretended to be asleep because we knew that you wouldn’t really want to talk right then.” I was glad of this. I wouldn’t have wanted to talk.

“If you want to ask something then just ask.” I grumbled, defeatedly. “I might not answer them but you can ask just the same.” The three of them all looked at each other as if daring each other to ask the question they all wanted to know the answer to. It seemed that, as the oldest, the job fell to Maia.

“Who’s Jessie?” She asked quietly. Tears instantly filled my eyes at her name but I brushed them away fiercely. “You kept asking for her. So who is she?” The tears I was forcing away desperately continued to force their way from my eyes. She wouldn’t want me to be crying over her. I forced down the pain in my chest and had to swallow hard a couple of times but I managed to speak.

“My sister.”  I whispered, my voice barely audible. “Jessie is my sister.”

“But you said-,” Madison exclaimed.