Chapter 6 - We're Too Late!

Chief Officer Dolton’s POV

I walked up to the door of the Sykes household with Mrs Way sat in the police car. She was quiet alright with catching Gerard but talking to the Sykes was something she couldn’t do. I knocked politely on the stained red door and waited patiently for a response. Not getting one I knocked again, a little louder than the first time, still no reply. I signalled to my men to check the area for any signs of life inside the house before going to look myself. I strolled through the garden to the other side of the house and peered through, what looked like the sitting room window. What I saw shocked me so much I had to look again; this confirmed what I had seen, there was someone hanging from the ceiling.

“We need to get in there now. Kick the door down lads,” I called slightly worried about what we’d find.

It took the second in command three strong kicks before the door swung open; Mrs Way had joined us the second she saw him kicking the door. I pulled my gun out of my belt and kept it pointed at the floor.

“Careful guys,” I whispered.

Taking my steps one at a time, keeping as quite as possible was making me feel nervous. Were we too late? The sitting room door lay just ahead of me; I reached forward and grasped the shinny handle and took a deep breath. I slowly counted down from three in my head before pushing the door open. I turned my back to the room the second my brain processed what had happened and it took me a few minutes to calm for me to be able to look again. The original colour of the room was unknown to me all I knew was that Gerard had decided it would look better crimson and forgot the paint. The cut open bodies of Mr and Mrs Sykes lay on the floor in several different places and the body of Ryan… Was suspended from the ceiling by his own intestine.

Mrs Way was in the room by this point and the sight made her gasp and leave the room as quick as she’d entered.

“Can I have a time of death please,” I need to know if this happened before or after the broadcast about Mikey,” I called to the criminology doctors that were on the scene.

“Either way he’s killed Ryan now and with him thinking Mikey’s gone he’ll have no reason to not kill himself,” Mrs Way exclaimed as her eyes filled with water.

Panic started to rise in me; she was right he would. The panic was fuelled by anger at me; saying that Mikey was dead was one of the worst mistakes I have ever made in my career; no in my life.

“We need to find him and find him now!” I yelled ensuring everyone heard.

“Sir it’s the first time he’s been this careless after leaving he’s left a trail of blood,” one of my investigators stated.

“Or it could be a trap,” said another.

“No it won’t be a trap. He’s giving up on life so he doesn’t care if we find him because he believes we’ll be too late,” Mrs Way cried.

“Okay lets go now and find him,” I yelled beginning to follow the trail.