9

I blew through my cheeks and looked at the door where the girls had gone.
As I watched them disappear, I couldn't help but feel that the sun had now been covered by a passing cloud and that I was going to be lonely, trapped in the same routine again.

Sighing once more I tucked the stool under the counter and went in the storage room to find a cloth to wipe down the deserted tables.
As I entered the windowless room and fumbled for a light switch, I happened to be unlucky enough to step in a bucket and cause a whole shelf to come flying down.
"Shit"
Then I heard my dad- well step-dad cursing as he made his way over.
"For fuck sake Kellan- what the fuck did you do now?!"
"I'm sorry, i- I was walking and then i-"
"Look at the fucking state of this place- and there's bleach on the floor!"
"I'm really sorry i-"
"I mean, before your mom died she failed to say that you were incapable of putting one foot in front of the other like everybody else. Was she that desperate to get rid of you?" He taunted.
I did nothing. Nothing but look down at the bleach liquid that had found its way to my foot.
The foot Isolde touched.
"If you could at least be capable of doing something- at least one thing right, then maybe someone would like you." He continued before kicking the bucket of moping water over.
"I want this cleaned before you leave or else you're fired- then how will you pay for your fees." He called over his shoulder before putting two plates of a good-looking breakfast at an empty table.

I sighed from where I was and watched from the crack of the ajar door as the scene unfolded.
"Guys, breakfast is ready!" He called.
Jean-Paul and Louis (his sons) both leapt from the counter, still on their phones, and made their way to their father who looked extremely pleased with their existence.
I closed my eyes and tried to imagine what it was like to be loved like that once again but was stopped.
"What the hell you doing in the storage cupboard watching people like a creep" asked Louis giving me a nudge.
"Actually, my eyes were shut" I retorted with quiet anger.
"Someone's getting cocky," added Jean in a mocking tone,"Remember your place." He added warningly.
"Anyway, dad is leaving you and Nicholas in charge Saturday night..."
" ..since we've been invited to that art show and dinner party later" concluded Louis before leaving the cafe and entering Mr Pierre-roux's Mercedes and flying away.

Once again I shut my eyes and imagined what being part of the family would be like.
I looked at my mothers tatty old watch on my wrist and made my way all whilst imagining....

"Late again Mr. Pierre-roux." Stated the teacher as I attempted to sneak into the classroom.
"And I care because....?" I said like one of my brothers would and sat down and imagined.