Chapter 28: Rankings and Decisions - T version

Start from the beginning

I sigh and look up at my friends. I sigh and rub the back of my neck. Finally, I say, "Uriah... I wanted to talk about you and Tris."

Uriah raises his eyebrows in surprise. "Me and Tris?" he repeats.

I nod. "Yeah, um..." I clear my throat. "I... have feelings for Tris. I know you two have something going and I mean, you're my friend, I don't want to go behind your back or anything but..." Uriah catches me completely off guard when he laughs. Zeke looks surprised by his brother's reaction, too. I am not really sure what to make of it. "Okay, not the reaction I was expecting..."

"Four," Uriah says, still smiling, "Tris and I don't have 'something going on.' We're just friends. That's all we've ever been."

My shoulders relax, I'm so relieved. But, I'm also very confused. They're always flirting, always together, I saw them holding hands that time... Zeke has made a few comments about their relationship, even told me how excited Hana was that Tris and Uriah were getting serious.

I look to Zeke and he shakes his head and leans back into the couch. "Don't look at me, man, I thought they were dating, too. Uriah and I didn't get the chance to talk very often during initiation and I never asked. I just assumed, I guess..."

"Don't get me wrong... I tried," Uriah explains. "More than once, actually. But Tris has never been interested in anything more than friendship. She said she wasn't interested in dating anyone."

"But you like her," I say realizing what Uriah just implied. He's asked her out... more than once. Tris may not return his feelings, which is great news, but this could still affect my friendship with Zeke. I glance at my best friend. He looks more perplexed than anything.

"Of course I like her," Uriah replies. "It would be hard not to like Tris, right? But it's not like I was ever in love with her or anything. It's never going to happen, and I don't think it was ever meant to. It's good, though. I've recently realized that I like Marlene... a lot. I think she likes me, too." I smile. "Go for it, Four. I think you and Tris could be good together."

I look to Zeke and raise an eyebrow. "Zeke? Are we good?"

"Of course," Zeke answers. He shakes his head and laughs. "I really did not see any of this coming. But I'm happy for you, man. And Uri, about time! Marlene has liked you for ages." Uriah grins and his cheeks turn a little pink.

Relieved, I sit back and drink my beer. Now all I have to do is talk to Tris.

"So, Four, when are you going to tell Tris how you feel?" Uri asks, grinning. "Do you need any help?"

I have already thought this out, I have a plan. "Tonight, after dinner," I reply. "And yeah, we might need some help with Natty."

"I'm there!" he replies enthusiastically. "Natty can hang out with Marlene and me, we're supposed to hang out but I'm sure she won't mind if Natty tags along."

I know Uriah has watched Natty many times before but my instinct is to protect Natty, I still feel nervous. "Okay, thanks. But you'd better not get all caught up mooning over Marlene. Natty is your priority when she's with you. Got it?"

Uriah laughs. "Of course, Four. I haven't seen her as much this week, I miss my little sweetheart and want to spend some time with her. Don't worry, I would never put Natty in any danger." I relax and nod. "I'll meet you guys in the dining hall. You and Tris can leave her with me after dinner."

When I finish my second beer, I leave the rest of the case with Zeke and say goodbye to my friends. Shauna had showed up to Zeke's while I was still there and was enthusiastically supportive of my intentions to begin a relationship with Tris. It's a relief to know my friends are supporting me.