Growing Up A Winchester (Sam/Dean X Sister Reader)

While on a long road trip to a hunt, you reminisce about your memories growing up with your brothers, from the best ones, to the worst, to the most awkward.

Warnings: Mentions of death, language, angst, light smut between Cas and the reader

You're sitting in the backseat of the impala, looking out the window at the scenery. Dean, of course, is driving, and Sam is sitting on the passenger side, sleeping. You have a hard time sleeping in the car, so on long car trips like this, you have a hard time. Thankfully, Dean is usually always awake as well, and serves as your entertainment.

Growing up as the youngest Winchester sibling was not always fun and games, especially being a teenage girl. As much as your brothers love you, they know absolutely nothing about teenage girls. You more often than not felt like you were raising yourself, but you wouldn't have it any other way. Your brothers are your rock, and you would never leave them.

You can barely remember the first time you'd met Dean. Your dad, John, had gotten your mother pregnant and throughout the first four years of your life, he was very in and out of your life. He'd only show up at your house once a year, normally on your birthday. He'd call on holidays, but you were too young to hold a conversation. A little after your fourth birthday, your mother had passed away from cancer. You had nothing and no one else, and your dad John came to your rescue.

"Hey, kiddo." John had told you, picking you up from the hospital. He looked tired, the bags underneath his eyes more prominent than you had ever seen them.

"Hi." You say quietly. You didn't really know what was going on. All you knew was that your mommy was in a better place and you were going to live with your dad. You remember being nervous, because to you, your dad was like a stranger. You knew nothing about him.
"Do you have your stuff? You're comin' to stay with me and your brother, Dean. Dean's excited to meet you, you know."

"I have a brother?" You ask, suddenly interested. As far as you knew, you were an only child.

"Yup. He's gonna help me take care of you, okay?" John looked distressed. He wasn't ready to be a full time dad all over again. His boys had finally just grown up and were able to take care of themselves again, and now he's being thrusted into the dad life again, this time with a four year old little girl. He loves you to death, but the dad life wasn't for him.

"Okay." You say quietly.

The drive to the house was long and filled with awkward silence. Neither of you knew what to say to each other- you were basically strangers.

The look on Dean's face when he saw you was one of sadness. He had come out to the car to help you bring your stuff inside the house, and kept trying to make conversation with you, but there was no doubt that there was an awkwardness. Dean had just found out himself that he had a little sister- John kept that from him.

"Hey, Y/N. I'm Dean, I'm your brother."

You laugh quietly to yourself. You can barely remember it, but you can definitely remember how awkward it had been between you two.

Thankfully, after those first few hours, you two had grown on each other. He was the brother you never knew you wanted. He would sing you to sleep every night and tell you how much he loved you, and how he would protect you from anything and everything.

When John gave you the "talk", you were terrified. All your life, you'd been under the impression that monsters weren't real, that they were all in your imagination. Whilst your dad was trying to teach you, a five year old girl, to defend yourself against the things that go bump in the night, Dean was just trying to let you live your life. He would take you to playgrounds, or to see the newest kid movie at the theater.