"Good things happen with secrets like those ones, you could actually die because of your secrets" He heavily spoke with a screwed up face

"Okay, so bad example" I rolled my eyes "What about when you first told me you met Andy? You told me he told you secrets, secrets that you couldn't tell me. I told you to keep them, I didn't push for them"

He nodded, remembering "I guess so, but when you tell me you don't want me to worry, it's too late, cause I worry" He folded his arms

"You want Andy to be happy right? You want him to have loads of friends and be able to talk to Harriet?" I tried "Do you want this curse to be over as much as I do, for them?"

"Of course I do" He nodded

"Then you need to trust me, trust what I'm doing, trust what I'm saying, can you do that for me?"

He hesitated, carefully watching me with his big brown eyes, and then he nodded a final time "Okay"

My shoulders relaxed, relieved as he gave me a small smile and continued forward.
I let out a big breath and sighed, following in tow.

"Hey" Skyler greeted me as she exited her house

Instantly I noticed that her dress sense had somewhat changed. She appeared different, even with the way she walked towards me on the sidewalk

"This is brave" A grin erupted from my lips as I pushed my fingertip into her stomach, the design not her usual style

She shrugged "Does it look okay?"

I was going to be honest. Honesty was something I was lacking lately, and at any appropriate chance I had, I was going to make up for the lies and secrets I harboured

"It doesn't look bad put it that way, it looks.. it looks like you're going to a modelling interview" I told her, studying her every inch

She had chosen a tight singlet top with low cut cleavage reaching her sternum, the colour a baby blue with floral design. A small reveal of skin was showing between the hem of the top and the belt of her tight boot-flare dark blue jeans.

"I wanted to do something different, and I didn't consult Cara which has made me paranoid" She snickered as we started to walk toward school

"She's going to approve of it, even I know that, she loves daring bold statements like this" I assured her "But I must ask, does it have something to do with a certain boy?"

It had to of had something to do with James. I couldn't imagine any other reason for her quick change in fashion to of been not about impressing him.

As per routine, she linked her arm into mine and rolled her eyes "Maybe"

"I'm happy for you Sky, you deserve this"

"All thanks to you" She squeezed my arm "So what about you, you and Danny, what's happening there?"

"We're just friends" I sighed, more lies overshadowing truths "And I'm okay with that right now" I again half lied.

I wanted something more, I knew that, but at the same time, I knew that it couldn't be anything more, not just yet anyways.

Skyler groaned as we entered school grounds "Are you serious?"

"We just have some hurdles to get past before we jump into something more than friendship" I told her truthfully "Like that one" I snarled as I spotted Mathew across the yard, standing alongside his friends with his arms crossed

Even minimal sight of him, made my skin crawl. I couldn't even begin to understand just how dramatically I had underestimated him. He was no longer the same person, in fact, he was the complete opposite. The Mathew I had once been with, did not exist anymore, and had been replaced by this vile and aggressive monster. It both sickened me and saddened me.

"What do you think he's going to do? He's never been aggressive before, not that I've ever witnessed, Friday night was.." Skyler blew out a breath of air "Scary"

The bell sounded just as we had approached our now growing social circle. Cara and Paisley stood with Dayton, talking football. James and his friends Daniel and Morgan were close by, greeting us as we approached them.

Returning to my friends was a breath of fresh air. I had lost count of how many times they'd asked me if I was okay, what had happened to my arm and what had happened with Danny Friday night. The concern they held for me made me feel cared for and wanted. I felt in perfect place, accepted and protected.
Even Morgan and Daniel, whom had only met me through James days earlier had promised to have my back. This was the belonging I had needed to feel, the security I had needed to have when Danny wasn't around to defend me.

Aiming down the halls for first class, Skyler and Cara had struck up golden conversation about Sky's outfit of the day. I strolled casually along beside them, listening subtly in on the tips Cara was giving my friend, scandalously imagining myself using the hacks to get a certain boys attention.
All I could think was 'could I?'
Was the idea of showing more skin, or accentuating certain curves something I would be capable of?
There were many questions I needed to answer for myself before going ahead with the advice Cara was giving not only Skyler, but unknowingly, myself. Was it a good idea? Would I feel comfortable? What exactly was I looking to get out of it? Would Danny fall for it?
For a simple girl with simple motives of my age, the answers were easy, but for who I was, who Danny was and the situation we were in, the answers were complicated and daringly dangerous.

With toxic images and reckless ideas in mind, Skyler and I entered a new fresh hell.
Math class.

Whispers were flowing, ears wagging and tongues whipping. This was backlash lesson number one: rumours.
It was creative to see what some of my peers had already assumed had happened without actually having been in the very midst of the Friday night chaos. I probably could have written a very gripping and edgy novel with the imaginative stories some had conjured up.
Backlash number two soon followed within seconds of entering Mrs Clareton's classroom: the death stares.
Mathew and Pete beside him narrowed their venomous gaze on me the moment I had stepped foot into the room. Their eyebrows were stitched together in the middle, their snarls and smirks spiteful and scathing. They were out for blood.

Holding my breath, Skyler and I found our seats at the near back of the room where I had already noticed Danny to be sitting. I wondered what kind of attention he had already received, what kind of treatment he had already endured.

Allowing my lungs to refill with air once Mrs Clareton hastily entered the room late, the sudden influx of recuperated air gave me a brave spurt of courage.

"You're all about sticking by me through this mess of a Mathew thing, right?" I whispered quickly to Skyler beside me

Her eyes were firmly on mine, slightly worried as she nodded "Of course"

"Good, then let's make a point" I told her as I stood, dragging my belongings with me as I moved my position in the room from where I normally sat to the vacant seat beside Danny at the back of the room

As expected, all eyes - especially Mathews - zeroed in on my movement.

"Hi" I nervously smiled at Danny who seemed just as taken back by the change as the rest of the class had

Thankfully, Skyler had followed in pursuit of my action, only she seemed more excitedly involved. She dramatically cleared her throat and flipped her hair back, smiling as she fiercely made my point for me, leaning back in her new chair by my side.

Whispers instantly grew to chatter, chatter that was fast snapped up by Mrs Clareton who was in no mood for high school drama.

"What are you doing Emilia?" Danny whispered carefully fifteen minutes later when the shock had died down

I shifted toward him "If I'm destined to die, I'm going to go out with a bang"