7 - Accident

During class, during lunch, during all school related activities, I forced my brain to take a rest day. I did my best to avoid thinking about the Newscot secrets, and by early afternoon, I began to settle back into normal thought processing.

"I have a favour to ask" I spoke towards Cara moments before final class

"What's that?" She quirked an eyebrow

"You have Math next right?" I knew how much she hated math, and selfishly I was going to use that to my advantage

Her head nodded, eyes rolling "Ugh, yes"
She groaned

"How would you feel about truanting class with me?" I watched her expression carefully, either of us having last skipped class more than 3 years ago
She thought about it for a moment, stopping her walking mid-hall with me.

2:40pm the final bell sounded, Cara in front of me, about a minute into considering leaving with me without permission.
Her light eyebrows were creased in the middle, and then they relaxed, her lips turning up.

"We better go quick" She smirked as she pulled my arm along

Cara and I began our rebellious run towards the front of school, laughing like small children as we broke the rules to which would indefinitely get us grounded.

Adrenaline was running as fast as our feet, our eyes on high alert until we were certain we were far enough from the buildings to get us caught.
2 blocks away, we were slowed to a walk, breathing heavily, excited and nervous.

"We haven't done this in years, why the sudden need?" Cara asked, our noses red from the chill of cold air

"Exactly that" I began, breathless "We haven't done it in so long, we were due"

She bought into the lie, shrugging excessively to keep herself warm.
Her outfit was gorgeous, but it wasn't as practical as mine was for the state in weather.
Clouds continued to growl overhead, rain threatening to spill at any moment in time. We were unprepared if it did, but at that point, we didn't care.

"We should go to Power street" Cara began "I need a dress for a wedding coming up in September"

Power street was another 2 blocks away. It was about a 20 minute walk, but would be well worth the missed lesson.
It was sad that I had felt the need to skip History class, it had always been my favourite, and in a sense, I felt guilty for letting Danny Newscot push me away from something I loved. But it was one lesson, I would catch up. I was a good student, so was Cara.
I wouldn't be making a habit of my behaviour, I knew the boundaries, and I knew that if I fed some sad story to dad and mum, that they'd buy it.
The entire walk to Power street consisted of Cara and I discussing excuses, varying from a pets death, to a broken heart. Eventually we settled on telling them that we had both been overwhelmed with assignments that we had had a small breakdown. The lie wouldn't have been completely dishonest, we were both swamped with homework that we both struggled to keep up with.

"Let's go in here" Cara instructed, pulling me into a trendy clothing store along Power street.
For years, Power street remained a long stretch of road lined with clothing stores, restaurants, alternate stores, shopping centre, the cinema and all shops needed to keep a town busy and out of trouble on the weekend.

Music lightly drifted through the air in the small space cluttered with expensive denim and cotton. Prices were marked high, the shop being more on the elite side of brands. Cara had the money to spend, thanks to daddy and mummy and their grandparents wealthy inheritance.

I was slightly jealous that Cara didn't need to work part time outside of school hours to earn cash. But I could also see the perks of working at the local hardware store. I felt proud that I had earned what I could spend, I was also preparing myself for the real world.
I had worked for the last year and it was always unpredictable, one week I would work everyday after school, others, like this week, I would only be required for 2 days. I didn't mind.