27 - Acting The Part

I stood opposite my tall mirror in the corner of my room. My hands were at my sides, my teeth chewing the inside of my cheek. My eyes raked up from my toes to my hair, done up, ready to go. The dress I wore was a little tighter than I remembered, but it was ideally perfect for the night and it's activities. My shoes however, were a whole new challenge. I wasn't used to wearing heels, so my first few paces around the room were unsteady, shaking my nerves.
After style after style, google search after google search, I had eventually landed on a neat, pulled back, sleek up-do high bun. It would keep from my face, it would not flop and it would not interfere with my sight if at any point I would need to run.
I was well aware I was overthinking the entire situation, but it were better to be careful than to be oblivious, right?
I closed my eyes and blew out a breath of air, calming myself down. I was already beginning to sweat, which would undoubtedly interfere with my more forceful in nature makeup application. I wasn't a big makeup fairy, but tonight was a special occasion, and I liked those one off opportunities to add a little more eyeshadow and naked beige lipstick to my look.

A small knock on my bedroom door sounded, Mum soon peering in through the gap "Are you decent?"

"Yeah" I called back, removing myself from the mirrors view, busying my hands in my small clutch bag, ensuring everything was ready.

"Wow" She instantly began, pointedly looking me up and down "You look incredible Em"

"Thanks" I mumbled, my fingers slightly shaking.
I didn't understand why I was so nervous, I hadn't ever been so nervous before in my life. I'd had important tests before, important family events, even damn public speeches before, but the night looming ahead, had me in all sorts of panic.

"Emilia" Mum moved towards me, taking a hold of my arms, forcing me to stop my unnecessarily busy hands "Why are you so nervous?" She calmly asked, forcing my eyes on hers, steady and reassuring

I shrugged "I don't know"

Because I'm meeting with a witch later on in the night, my mind thought.

"Is it because of Danny?" She asked, keeping my gaze in place.
That, and because we're going to attempt to remove a family curse that has people killed over romance, my mind wandered again.

I shrugged for a second time "Maybe a little"

She gave a weak smile "You don't need to be nervous, just breath. You're going to have a good night"

I sighed, forcing myself to control my breathing

Her lips slowly raised at the edges "Boys, they never understand their true influence on our minds do they?"

I wanted to tell her that going with Danny to the dance wasn't that simple, that it wasn't the sole reason I was in such fret mode. But I couldn't, so I had to allow her to think that he was the only reason.
Yes, I was nervous about being with him, because I had no idea how he was going to act, how I was going to act, but he wasn't the one I was afraid of, that was Evalia.

"I'm good" I smiled, putting on a brave face, standing tall as I placed my thin strap clutch bag over my shoulder

On cue, the doorbell sounded, Mum giving me a wink before quickly walking ahead of me to snoop.
As we stepped out, Luke appeared, dressed in a formal plaid blue shirt and trousers, his hair combed neatly back. He was headed for the door as we were, clearly expecting a guest in the same fashion that I was.

"Who are you going with Luke?" I began, unknowing of his plans

"A friend" He shrugged, poking his tongue out at me

"Hello Cassie" Mum pulled open the door, a shy brunette 14 year old from our school stood waiting, in a pretty light blue dress and black flats
I knew her face instantly, but I hadn't known much about her. She flew under the radar, quiet and low key in the community. It suddenly made me wonder if she and her family had something to hide.