👶6

Chapter 6

Luke

"It's okay Ashton, I'll take Luke home. He lives on my road."

I couldn't have gone any redder. To use my fake ID and enter a club was bad enough – but to bump into my chemistry teacher and Calum? I was literally about to breakdown right there in front of them.

"Be grateful I'm not reporting this to the school," Mr Irwin warned, giving us both evil eyes. "Michael, where do you live?"

Michael mumbled his road name. "I can take the bus, it's chill-"

"You think I'd trust you to do that? No, I'm calling a taxi for you."

I don't think I'd ever seen Mr Irwin so mad; maybe it was the alcohol? Either way Michael and I were screwed. Calum said a few words to the guy he was sitting with at the bar, before putting his hand on my shoulder.

"Home time, buddy."

I sucked in my cheeks and stuffed my hands in my pocket, walking out with him. "Sorry I ruined your night," I said with a tinge of embarrassment. He just smiled.

"It's okay. I wasn't having that much fun anyway."

"What about that guy you were talking to?"

"Eh, he was Ashton's friend. We were just having a chat."

On the way back, we didn't really speak at all, despite my increasing urge to say something.

However, once we'd finally gotten to our road, Calum asked, "Do you wanna come in for a drink? Since you're already out?"

I internally screamed and replied with, "Sure, that sounds great!"

"We could even have a look at your chemistry, if you wanted?"

Fuck no, let's just talk and maybe make out-

"Shut up!" I yelled, making Calum jump. "Oh shit sorry, I was talking to myself!" I added, quickly turning away so he wouldn't see my tomato-like face.

I was expecting him to freak out and tell me he wasn't actually free that evening or that he was tired and I should just go home, but he didn't. "Come on, it's cold outside."

The house was totally different without two little people running around. Calum had tided all the toys away so it literally looked like I was entering a normal guy's house. I gulped, a little too audibly, but Calum didn't seem to notice.

He went straight to the kitchen and reached in the fridge for two cans. "You're okay with beer, right?" I nodded. "Oh shit, I feel tipsy. The alcohol's finally catching up with me..." he groaned, lifting one hand to his head. We sat down at the table and he got out some snacks, laying them out in front of me. "Help yourself."

But I went straight to the questioning. "So, I hear-"

"Hey, wanna play a board game?"

I raised my eyebrows. He really was drunk, wasn't he? Jeez, what was I gonna do now? "Uh... sure!"

He scampered off in search of one, coming back like a dog would after throwing a ball for them to fetch. "Scrabble!"

"Seriously..."

"Yeah! Blair and Ellis are too young to play this game properly, and it's literally the game of my childhood."

"I'm not sure I'll be any better than them, but okay..."

~

We ended up playing till like 2am – it was surprisingly fun and addictive. I found that actually, I knew a lot more words than I gave credit to myself for, and it wasn't long before I was creating super long ones and bagging a bunch of points.