👶4

Chapter 4

Calum

"Come on Cal, let me have them for the weekend. I hardly ever get time away from uni."

"What about all the summer holidays? Oh, that's right, you were too busy getting drunk in Europe, I remember," I replied, pouring Blair her cup of milk.

Holly sighed from the other side of the line, in central Sydney. "That's not fair-"

"I'll tell you what's not fair; leading me on for three years then dumping our kids on me with no financial support or responsibility! You haven't earnt a visit with Blair and Ellis. Maybe next time?"

I ended the call before I could get any madder, and sat myself down at the breakfast table with two very sketchy looking infants. "Daddy, were you talking to mummy?" Ellis asked with massive eyes. I couldn't quite read whether they were hopeful or concerned, but the way he was holding his spoon with a vice-like grip said enough.

"Yeah. Sorry you had to hear daddy shouting."

Ellis shrugged, gulping down another mouthful of cereal. Blair sipped on her milk, not saying a word; it was amazing how someone so young could still get influenced by such conversations. "You okay Blair?"

"Does mummy not love us anymore?" she replied, starting to tear up.

I shut my eyes. That was the one question I hoped no one would ever ask. "Now, now Blair – of course she does! Remember, mummy is busying studying. She doesn't have much time to look after you guys, not like daddy."

That seemed to satisfy them for now. I finished my coffee and poured the residue down the sink, telling the kids to get their bags for school and playgroup – I had work this morning, too, but daddy duties came first as per.

~

After watching Ellis run happily towards his group of friends, Blair and I walked with Perro to our next destination, which was only about three minutes away. That was good, in many ways – it meant not having to travel halfway across the neighbourhood just to pick up the kids.

Ashton was with Penny, Paige strapped to his torso as he dropped her off. "Oh, hey Calum! How you doing?" he asked, waving wildly. I still needed to query him about the number he gave me, and how he was encouraging drug dealing. Not in front of the kids, though.

"Good, thanks – off you go Blair! I'll pick you up at three, okay? Be nice!" I shouted, but she'd already disappeared into the corridor with Penny.

Ashton and I walked out together, him jiggling Paige up and down to keep her happy. "So, did you give them a call?"

I frowned. "Yeah. I really wasn't expecting drugs, Ashton – I'm not gonna lie."

He shoved my shoulder. "Oh come on, lighten up. It brings in a lot, especially if you're the bread winner of the family."

"I just don't wanna get involved in that stuff – thanks anyway," I replied coldly.

"Say, have you heard from their mum recently? Wasn't she the one at law school or something?"

I nodded. "That's right. In fact, she called in this morning, asking if she could have the kids for the weekend."

Ashton whooped. "Hey that's amazing! A free weekend to go out and do whatever you want – isn't that great?"

This guy was just full of new ideas wasn't he? "Nah, I said no. She hasn't pulled her weight for the past few years and honestly, I don't think she deserves to 'have them for the weekend'," I explained, putting the lock on the dog leash so Perro wouldn't run off too far.